Sapphire Edge VS8 full review
The Edge VS8's black rubberised-plastic housing contains a PC based on AMD’s 1.6GHz A8 processor which features integrated Radeon 7600G graphics, giving it considerably better graphics performance than any of the competition. See also Group test: What's the best budget PC?
The Edge VS8 offers a well-balance set of features: its large 500GB hard drive is slower and more power power-hungry than an SSD, but also considerably less expensive and offers enough storage space for many to use the PC without the need to connect up external USB drives. See all budget PC reviews.
However, should you need to, there are two USB 3.0 ports provided, along with four USB 2.0. Dual monitor outputs are also provided in the form of HDMI and Mini DisplayPort connectors. Mini DisplayPort to HDMI and Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapters have been included in the box.
There’s also digital and analogue audio, an SD card reader and a gigabit ethernet port. Annoyingly, the front-mounted USB 3.0 ports are located behind a small removable tab which we managed to lost.
Our system was supplied without an operating system. All the required drivers were supplied, but these were on optical media which the PC doesn’t support. An installation of Windows 8 went without a hitch however and we were easily able to download the required drivers from Sapphire’s website.
Performance-wise we were expecting more from the Edge VS8. The PC Mark result of 1150 points seeming uncharacteristically low, especially when considering relatively high scores in many sub tests.
Where the Edge VS8 shines however is in gaming. While it’s by no means a gaming PC, it’s leaps and bounds ahead of the competition and will give you by far the best gaming experience available. Power consumption was a little higher than the rest, but even under full load, the system cooling fan remained relatively quiet – you won’t have to sacrifice your peace in order to get faster gaming graphics.
Sapphire Edge VS8: Specs
- Processor: 1.6GHz AMD A8-4555M (4 cores / 4 threads)
- CPU Cooler: custom heatsink and fan
- Installed memory: 4GB DDR3, 1333MHz
- Storage: 500GB 2.5in SATA HDD, 5400rpm
- Power supply: External
- Motherboard: AMD Hudson-3, AMD K15.1
- External USB ports: 2x USB 3.0, 4x USB 2.0
- Graphics processor: Integrated AMD Radeon HD 7600G
- Sound: on-board
- Networking: Gigabit ethernet, 802.11b/g/n
- Audio outputs: Line out, S/PDIF out (optical), HDMI audio, DisplayPort audio
- Audio inputs: Line in
- Video outputs: HDMI, Mini DisplayPort
- Other ports: SD card reader
- Bluetooth: Yes
- Case dimensions: 183 x 198 x 32 mm
- Total weight: 660g
- Case construction materials: rubberised plastic
Price comparison from over 24,000 stores worldwide