The Apple iPad 2 represents a radical update for Apple's tablet PC, being thinner, lighter and faster, with dual cameras. Kudos to Apple then, that the iPad 2 will cost the same as the first iteration.
Apple iPad 2 review: in pictures
The newest iteration of Apple's tablet is lighter, thinner, and - surprise - it also comes in white.
The iPad 2 is noticeably nicer to hold than its predecessor. The weight helps, but the thinness and the tapering along the back side make it much easier to rest in one hand.
The reduced thickness of the iPad 2 means that we can't say the iPad's buttons and ports are on its side - there really is no side. There's a front and a back, really, with a very small amount of curved, tapered space. That's where the buttons and ports are. It's a very different feel from the original iPad.
The iPad 2 has gained a new tapered aluminum back and a rear camera, capable of recording 720p HD video (at 30 frames per second) and a still camera with a 5x digital zoom.
The iPad 2's altered shape is obviously visible when laid face-down. The device's mono speaker grille has been visibly altered, though whether that improves sound quality has yet to be determined.
Three form factors on the table: the original iPad on the left, the iPad 2 in the centre, and the iPhone 4 on the right.
Macworld's Andy Ihnatko plays with the iPad 2's Photo Booth app.
Like the iPhone 4, the iPad 2's front camera is VGA-quality, though it still manages to get a decent picture.
Apple introduced a series of covers for the new iPad at Wednesday's launch event. Held to the iPad using magnets, the iPad Smart Cover is a rectangle exactly the size and shape of the iPad's screen. The side that faces inward is made of soft microfibre cloth; the outside is either leather or polyurethane in one of five colours each.
The Smart Cover can stand your iPad upright, prop it up for typing, or cover it entirely, depending on its position.
Here, an iPad is propped at viewing angle using a blue Smart Cover.
NEXT: Our expert verdict, specifications >>
Apple iPad 2: Specs
- 1GHz dual-core Apple A5 processor (ARM Cortex-A9)
- 9.7in (1024 x 768) LED-backlit glass IPS screen, capacitive multi-touch, 132ppi, oleophobic coating
- 16GB, 32GB or 64GB NAND flash storage
- rear camera: HD video 960 x 720, 30fps, still shots with 5x digital zoom
- front camera: 640 x 480, 30fps
- Wi-Fi + 3G model: GPS receiver, UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100MHz)
- GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900MHz)
- Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
- Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
- built-in 25Wh rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
- 30-pin dock connector port, 3.5mm stereo headphone mini-jack
- built-in speaker, mic
- three-axis gyro
- digital compass
- 601g (Wi-Fi only), 613g (Wi-Fi & 3G)