Nokia BH-905i full review
In contrast with the Philips SHB9100s, which come equipped with a single fiddly control button and a distinct lack of accessories, the BH-905i headphones are awash with buttons, and Nokia throws in so many cables and adaptors that we had to look them up in the manual to work out what they were all for. Visit Group test: what are the best headphones?
The BH-905is are very much aimed at travellers, and are the only set of headphones in this group test that provide active noise-cancellation circuitry. This will be particularly handy if you’re trying to relax on a long plane flight, as will the impressive battery life – 14 hours with noise-cancellation turned on, and a full 25 hours when it’s turned off.
The hard-shell carrying case supplied by Nokia also includes an audio cable so you can use them as ordinary wired headphones, along with an adaptor for in-flight music systems, and even an adaptor that lets you use the BH-905is for making internet phone calls on a Mac or PC. There’s also a mains adaptor but, oddly, no USB cable, so you can’t charge these headphones from a laptop when you’re on the road.
Audio quality is very good, although we found the sound a little muffled at lower levels and you need to push the volume up fairly high in order to bring the higher frequencies to the fore. That’s fine if you like your music loud – especially with the headphones’ bass boost option turned on – but not so good if you like to wallow in gentler classical or acoustic sounds.
The BH-905is’ noise-cancellation circuitry makes them perfect for long-haul flights
If you just want a set of Bluetooth headphones for ordinary day-to-day use then there are cheaper options that provide comparable audio quality. However, the noise-cancelling features of the BH-905is and their extensive set of accessories make them a good choice for people who travel a lot and like to relax along the way.
Nokia BH-905i: Specs
- Operating range: 10 m
- Frequency response: From 15 Hz to 20 kHz
- Speaker impedance: 32 ohm
- Active noise cancellation technology: Reduces up to 99% background noise (Number of noise cancelling microphones: 8)
- Bluetooth versionL 2.1 with enhanced data rate (EDR)
- (Bluetooth use)
- Operating time: Talk (Bluetooth): 24 h, Music (Bluetooth): 25 h, Talk (Bluetooth, with active noise cancellation): 15 h, Music (Bluetooth, with active noise cancellation): 16 h, Music (Wired, with active noise cancellation): 40 h
- 190 mm x 140 mm x 35 mm (folded flat), 167g