Overclockers UK Primo GTX 660 Windows 8 Edition full review
Available from 6/12/12
It’s a delicious irony that our first Gaming PC from Overclockers UK isn’t overclocked and, moreover, isn’t overclockable in any way due to its multiplier-locked 3.1GHz Intel Core i5-3450 processor and budget Intel H61 Express chipset. See Group test: What's the best gaming PC?
It is however, by far the least expensive PC in our round-up. It’s supplied as a base system only, without a monitor, keyboard or mouse, but even so at around half the price of its nearest rival it’s worthy of serious consideration. Take a look at Yoyotech Warbird 3570XTA too.
Do you get around half the performance? No, you most certainly do not. The CPU may be considerably slower than the competition and the nVidia GeForce GTX 660 is a much slower card than the much more expensive GTX 680 found in other high-end systems. See all PC reviews.
But, the Primo GTX 660 still turns in a very respectable score of 5507 points in PCMark 7 and gaming frame rates are still high enough to play most games at 1920x1080 pixels, albeit it at somewhat lower quality settings. See also Arbico 5300-HD Media Centre.
You do however miss out on some important features. A small and not particularly quick 60GB Intel 330 SSD is included and the hard drive offers a relatively lowly 500GB capacity. You are therefore quite likely to run into disk space issues with this system and should expect to have to manage your use of the SSD quite carefully.
The Gigabyte H61MA-D2V motherboard is not only less powerful than the Z77-Express-based boards found in every other system. It also lacks many functions, not just in the realm of overclocking but also in the terms of upgradability and built-in features. It’s a micro-ATX board with precious-little room for expansion and no support for the 6Gb/s SATA speeds offered by both of the installed drives, although USB 3.0 is included.
Blu-ray has been eschewed in favour of a DVD writer and the Xigmatek Asgard II midi tower case is small and comparatively basic. It’s somewhat unimpressive when stood next to its competition but appropriate for a system that doesn’t require any special cooling to operate at full speed.
Overclockers UK Primo GTX 660 Windows 8 Edition: Specs
- Processor: 3.1GHz Intel Core i5-3450
- CPU Cooler: Stock Intel Cooler
- Installed memory: 8GB DDR3 1,600MHz
- Storage: "60GB Intel SATA III SSD
- 500GB Seagate 7,200 rpm SATA III HDD"
- Power supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 400W
- Motherboard: Gigabyte H61MA-D2V
- External USB ports: 2x USB 3.0, 8x USB 2.0
- Display: Not included
- Graphics card: Gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 WindForce 2X 2GB VRAM, 1,033/1502MHz
- Sound: onboard
- Networking: Gigabit Ethernet
- Other ports: DVI, D-Sub
- Case: Xigmatek Asgard II Midi Tower Case - Black
- Keyboard & Mouse: Not included
- Optical drive: OcUK DVDRW
- Operating system: Windows 8
- Extra items: n/a
- Case dimensions: 185 x 475 x 408mm
- Warranty: 2 years collect & return