CyberPower Fang III Rattler full review
The CyberPower Fang III Rattler is a huge water-cooled beast of a machine. Housed in an imposing Azza Fusion 3000 system case, it resembles some sort of futuristic body-armour.
The top two 5.25in drive bays are taken up by a metal panel featuring the CyberPower logo and a thin vertical window through which you can check the level of fluid in your cooling system, which is illuminated by two eerie blue lamps. See also Group test: what's the best desktop PC?
Three 120mm fans blow cooling air through a large radiator fitted inside the top of the case, to chill the liquid flowing from a plate fitted to the CPU. It’s an Intel Core i5-3570K which CyberPower has overclocked from its standard 3.4GHz up to 4.5GHz – the joint highest overclock frequency in this round-up alongside Yoyotech. Visit Group test: what's the best graphics card?
Red details adorn the inside of the case, including a rear fan guard and brightly coloured meshed rear blacking plates where expansion cards can be fitted. The sheer size of the case means that there’s plenty of room to work inside, and thanks to several
Another unique feature is use of easy-swap drive bays which allow you to slide the supplied drive trays directly into a backplane without the need to plug in any cables or even open the case side panel. You can install up to six 3.5in drives and four 2.5in drives in this manner, which is particularly useful when using a fault-tolerant RAID setup.
Rubber-sealed holes allow cables to be routed behind the motherboard tray and this has resulted in one of the tidiest-looking internals we’ve seen in a long time.
The use of a GeForce GTX 670 rather than the faster GTX 680 results in the loss of just a handful of frames per second, at significantly lower cost. Sadly the graphics card isn’t hooked up to the water-cooling system.
Overall performance is very good, although our test results fall a little behind Arbico’s system which includes double the system memory, with which WorldBench 6 makes good use. Given the fancy cooling, we would have hoped for an even higher overclock than 4.5GHz but Ivy Bridge is quite tricky in that respect, so air-cooled systems are performing just as well.
The system is based on the Asus P8Z77-V Pro motherboard which offers built-in Wi-Fi and enhanced overclocking features and is a significant improvement of the standard and LX versions found elsewhere.
CyberPower Fang III Rattler: Specs
- Model name: Fang III Rattler
- Processor (overclocked): 3.4GHz (4.5GHz) Intel Core i5 3570K
- CPU cooler: Cyberpower advanced water-cooling
- Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
- Storage: 1TB SATA HDD + 128GB SATA 6Gbps SSD
- Power suppply: Coolermaster GX650W
- Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V Pro
- USB ports: 6x USB 3.0, 3x USB 2.0
- Graphics, VRAM, core/memory/shader speeds: Palit Nvidia GeForce GTX 670, 2GB VRAM, 915/1000/1344MHz
- Sound: onboard
- Connectivity: Gigabit ethernet, 802.11n
- VGA/DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort (on graphics card): N2YY
- FireWire/eSATA: NN
- Case: Azza Fusion 3000
- Optical drive: BD-ROM/DVD±RW
- Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
- Extras: Microsoft Office 2010 Starter Edition
- WorldBench 6 score: 205
- Gaming performance (fps): 105/66/51/109
- MediaEspresso time: 1min 40sec
- Power consumption (Idle/Max): 98W/160W