Chillblast Fusion Firebird full review
Available from 6/12/12
Say for a moment that you quite fancy a complete gaming PC system with nothing less than the fastest gaming results available, but you also want to pay less than £1200. In that case you can stop reading now and go and order a Chillblast Fusion Firebird. If you’re still not convinced then feel free to read on. See Group test: What's the best gaming PC?
Let’s take a look at the specs. The processor is a mighty 3.5GHz Intel Core i7-3770K, overclocked to an impressive 4.6GHz. As you might expect, this amount of processing power is enough to propel the Fusion Firebird towards the top end of the PCMark 7 performance chart. Take a look at Yoyotech Warbird 3570XTA too.
However, when it comes to gaming, nothing can touch the Firebird. Here, Chillblast has used a factory overclocked Palit Jetstream GeForce GTX 680 graphics card, which offers improved cooling and power circuitry over a standard model to allow for higher clock speeds. This card enables the system to consistently outperform all others across all of our gaming tests – a remarkable achievement when you consider its price. See all PC reviews.
Of course, it’s not all about raw performance: peripherals also play a major role. Chillblast has included a 23.6in Iiyama full-HD monitor, featuring high-quality IPS panel technology. Although primarily of benefit to those who want the best colour fidelity the display’s 5ms response time is still fast enough for serious gaming. See also Arbico 5300-HD Media Centre
The Logitech MK260 wireless keyboard and mouse combo is a perfectly serviceable set, but not really aimed at gaming, where wired USB and even PS/2 connections are preferred. It also lacks programmable gaming keys and high mouse resolution.
The system is housed in a tidy Corsair Carbide 200R system case, which is admittedly much less impressive than the more expensive PCs and rather cramped inside too, where we find a large Akasa Nero 3 cooler, cable management and tool-free bays. A Blu-ray drive and multi-card reader have also been installed.
Chillblast Fusion Firebird: Specs
- Processor (stock speed, overclocked speed): 3.5GHz Intel Core i7-3770K (4.6GHz Overclock)
- CPU Cooler: Akasa Nero 3 Cooler
- Installed memory (Capacity, type, speed): 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
- Storage (Type, model and capacity of each drive): "120GB Intel 330 Series SATA III SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 7,200rpm STA III HDD"
- Power supply: Corsair CX600 600W PSU
- Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V
- External USB ports: 4 x USB 3.0, 4 x USB 2.0
- Display: 23.6in Iiyama X2377HDS, 1920x1080, IPS, HDMI, VGA, DVI-D
- Graphics card: Palit Jetsteam Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 2GB VRAM, 1,085/1575MHz
- Sound: on-board
- Networking: Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11n
- Other ports: 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, PS2
- Case: Corsair Carbide 200R
- Keyboard & Mouse: Logitech MK260 wireless combo
- Optical drive: LG Blu-Ray Reader/ DVDRW
- Operating system: Windows 8
- Extra items: Optional Familiy Software pack, card reader
- Case dimensions: 210 x 497 x 430mm
- Warranty: 2 year collect and return