Synology DS213 DiskStation full review
Our test unit shipped without any drives installed, but adding a pair of 2TB SATA drives was very easy. We just popped off the front plate and the drive slotted into a pair of pull out trays. The enclosure supports upto 8TB of storage, in either RAID mirrored or striped formats (so you can choose to have a synchronous back-up, or use all the storage). Take a look at Group test: what's the best NAS device?
Connectivity is excellent, with a range of useful ports. There’s an SD card slot at the front alongside a USB 2.0. At the back you’ll find a pair of USB 3.0 ports which are 10 times faster than their protocol predecessor. These can be used to chain external drives to the unit. Thenetwork connection is via standard 1GB Ethernet.
Initial set-up of the device is handled through a browser based Web Assistant, which introduces you to DSM (DiskStation Manager) - the DiskStation’s operating system. It’s a real selling point for the DiskStation as it’s bold, nicely designed and easy to navigate. It’s also very clearly aimed at consumers, with tools for previewing images and other media.
This carries through to the software you use to access the DiskStation remotely, from Android and iOS apps to browser based access.
Like LaCie’s Linkstation, the DiskStation is effectively a mini PC. The specs are similar too with a 2.0 GHz ARM CPU and 512MB of DDR3 RAM. ARM processors don’t consume much power, which is an important consideration for a device that could potentially be always on.
DSM makes the DiskStation feel even more independent, with the ability to run autonomously as a web server and even as an application server. You can run your office direct from the DiskStation.
Synology DS213 DiskStation: Specs
- CPU Frequency : 2.0 GHz
- Hardware Encryption Engine
- Memory : DDR3 512 MB
- Internal HDD/SSD : 3.5" or 2.5" SATA(II) X 2 (Hard drive not included)
- Max Internal Capacity : 8 TB (2 X 4 TB HDD) (Capacity may vary by RAID types) (See All Supported HDD) Hot Swappable HDD
- External HDD Interface : USB 3.0 Port X 2, USB 2.0 Port X 1, SD Card Port X 1
- Size (HxWxD) : 165 x 108 x 233.2 mm
- Weight : 1.25 kg
- LAN : Gigabit X 1
- Wake on LAN/WAN
- System Fan : 92 x 92 mm X 1
- Wireless Support (dongle)
- Noise Level : 19.9 dB(A)
- Power Recovery
- AC Input Power Voltage : 100V to 240V AC
- Power Frequency : 50/60 Hz, Single Phase
- Power Consumption : 18.48W (Access)
- 8.28W (HDD Hibernation)
- Operating Temperature : 5°C to 35°C (40°F to 95°F)
- Storage Temperature : -10°C to 70°C (15°F to 155°F)
- Relative Humidity : 5% to 95% RH
- Maximum Operating Altitude : 6,500 feet
- Certification : FCC Class B, CE Class B, BSMI Class B
- Warranty : 2 Years