Samsung Galaxy Camera full review
Samsung said that the Galaxy Camera is designed to combine the best features of a smartphone and a digital camera, but it's missing one big thing: a phone. The Galaxy Camera combines a smartphone and digital camera with 3G, 4G and WiFi connectivity.
On paper the Galaxy Camera is impressive and I was excited to try it out. It shoots 16.3 megapixel images and has a 21x optical zoom, a 4.8-inch LCD screen, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, a 1.4 GHz quad core processor, A-GPS and 3G, 4G and WiFi connectivity.
The Galaxy Camera's zoom is impressive and gives surprisingly clear images at 21x, but the shutter lag on the device is significant. Samsung billed the Galaxy Camera as a device that can shoot professional quality images, but DSLR shooters will be annoyed by the length of time between when the shutter button is pressed and the picture is taken. In some cases it could be longer than two seconds.
Photographers will appreciate the manual controls built into the device's "expert mode." It lets you shoot in manual, program, and aperture- or shutter-priority modes. The on-screen interface for selecting the settings is supposed to mimic the lens-barrel controls found on SLR cameras, but ends up being clunky and sometimes difficult to use.
Samsung Galaxy Camera video review
Like an Android smartphone or Android tablet, the Galaxy Camera has access to all of the apps in the Google Play store. That means that you could download apps to send images to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and so on over the device's data connection. The images could also be added to emails or Dropbox folders, or retouched using a photo-editing app.
In the few minutes that I was using the camera, it froze, displayed an error message: "Warning unknown error by ErrorCallback." The camera needed to quickly reset before I could start using it again.
Samsung Galaxy Camera: Specs
- HSDPA 850/900/1900/2100
- Super Clear LCD capacitive touchscreen, 16M colours, 720x1280 pixels, 4.8 inches (~306 ppi pixel density)
- Corning Gorilla Glass
- TouchWiz UI
- 3.5mm jack
- microSD, up to 32GB
- 8GB storage, 1GB RAM
- HSDPA, 21 Mbps
- HSUPA, 5.76 Mbps
- LTE (optional)
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, dual-band, Wi-Fi hotspot
- Bluetooth v4.0
- microUSB v2.0
- 16 MP, autofocus, 21x optical zoom, pop-up Xenon flash, AF light
- Wide-angle 23mm lens, geo-tagging, touch focus, face and smile detection, optical image stabilization
- Video [email protected], [email protected]
- Android OS, v4.1 (Jelly Bean)
- Exynos 4412 Quad Quad-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A9
- Accelerometer, gyro, compass
- SMS(threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Mail, IM, RSS
- A-GPS support and GLONASS
- Java MIDP emulator
- Li-Ion 1650 mAh