PC Specialist MPC-3470T full review
As a small form-factor PC, the MPC-3470T from PC Specialist immediately stands out among business PCs. At only 112 by 230 by 264mm it’s much, much smaller than the PC on your desk. This makes it handy for cramped offices. See Group test: What's the best business PC?
A small, tightly packed system case such as the InWin BM643 offers more restricted airflow and is more challenging to keep cool. PC Specialist has failed to meet the challenge, just relying on smaller, noisier fans. To help mitigate this, PC Specialist has taken steps to keep up. See all PC reviews.
Power consumption, and therefore heat, are kept low by the selection of an Intel Core i5-3470T processor. This special low-power version of the quad-core chip has a standard clock speed of only 2.9GHz, against the 3.2GHz of the standard non-T version. However, the chip will still Turbo up to the same 3.6GHz of the regular chip when required.
When idling at the desktop, the MPC-3470T consumed only 27W – a far lower power consumption than the majority of other systems. Under full load, the MPC-34070T remained highly efficient, drawing only 53 watt.
This lower power chip does result in somewhat lower overall performance, but it’s still ahead of most AMD-based system and feels reasonably quick and responsive despite the lack of an SSD.
The case offers tool-free access, but some components such as the power-supply are necessarily smaller than the standard ATX-sized components you may keep on standby for repairs. Despite its size, the case still includes a memory-card reader and DVD writer, and the motherboard provides VGA, DVI and HDMI outputs. But remember that no monitor is included with the system.
The asking price of £479 may seem low, but you’ll have to add the price of a monitor before comparing this price to other full systems here.
PC Specialist MPC-3470T: Specs
- Processor: 2.9GHz Intel Core i5-3470T (4 cores / 4 threads)
- CPU Cooler: Standard Intel Cooler
- Installed memory: 8GB DDR3 1333MHz
- Storage: 1TB SATA III 6Gb/s
- Power supply: Power Man 160W
- Motherboard: ASUS P8H61-I R2.0
- External USB ports: 2 x USB 3.0, 7 x USB 2.0
- Display: None
- Graphics card: Intel HD Graphics 2500
- Sound: Onboard
- Speakers: None
- Networking: Gigabit Ethernet
- Audio outputs: Line out, HDMI, headphone
- Audio inputs: Line it, HDMI, mic
- Video outputs: 1x HDMI, 1x DVI, 1x HDMI
- Case: In Win BM643
- Keyboard & Mouse: Microsoft Comfort Curve 3000 Keyboard, Logitech Optical USB Mouse
- Optical drive: Samsung SN-208 DVD-RW
- Operating system: Windows 8 Pro
- Extra items: Cyberlink Power DVD, memory card reader