Chillblast Fusion Opal full review
Chillblast’s mid-priced Fusion Opal provides a good balance of performance and features. Powered by an Intel Core i5 Haswell processor, it makes use of the latest processor technology from Intel, installed in an up-to-date Asus B85M-G motherboard, featuring the B85 Express chipset. See all business PC reviews.
Rather than going all out to hit the top of the performance results, Chillblast has stepped the performance back a notch by going for the 3.2 GHz Core i5-4570 rather than the 3.4 GHz version. Chillblast’s choice is still much more than required for general office use. Take a look at Group test: What's the best office PC?
An overall PCMark 7 score of 4257 places it right in the middle of the performance results, but it lacks the real responsiveness which is only found with a solid-state drive. Instead, Chillblast has provided a full terabyte of hard disk space. See our PC Specialist MPC-2100 review.
The system is housed in a CiT Fortress system case – and seeing as this is a business PC, Chillblast has thankfully chosen the non-illuminated version. Although it has a reasonably smart external appearance, featuring four front USB ports – but just one of which is USB 3.0 – it’s rather basic inside with no particular easy access features or cable management. See also The 7 best tablets with expandable memory.
The system comes with a basic Cherry business keyboard and mouse, and an impressive 23.6-inch Iiyama X2377 monitor is included. This features a 1920 x 1080-pixel high-quality IPS panel. When compared to smaller 21.5-inch displays with the same pixel count, this display is considerably easier to look at for extended periods while IPS technology delivers far higher image quality than TN-based versions.
As usual, Chillblast includes a two-year collect-and-return warranty service which is a considerably advantage over the return-to-base terms offered by the competition. This system was supplied and tested with Windows 8 Pro installed, which includes useful downgrade rights to Windows 7 Professional.
Chillblast Fusion Opal: Specs
- Processor: 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5-4570 (4 cores / 4 threads, 3.6 GHz Turbo)
- CPU Cooler: Intel Stock Cooler
- Installed memory: 8 GB DDR3 1333MHz
- Storage: 1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 64MB Cache 7200rpm
- Power supply: CIT 500 W PSU
- Motherboard: Asus B85M-G Motherboard
- External USB ports: 3 x USB 3.0, 6 x USB 2.0
- Display: 23in Iiyama X2377 (1920 x 1080) IPS
- Graphics card: Intel HD Graphics 4600
- Sound: Onboard
- Networking: Gigabut ethernet
- Video outputs: VGA, HDMI, DVI
- Case: CIT Fortress (un-illuminated edition)
- Keyboard & Mouse: Cherry J82-16001 Business K-1 USB keyboard (black), M-5450 Powerwheel mouse
- Optical drive: 24x DVD-RW Drive
- Operating system: Windows 8 Pro
- Extra items: None
- Support options: Unlimited telephone setup support, subsidised out of warranty repair/upgrade
- Warrant: 2 years collect and return