HP Envy 120 full review
The HP Envy 120 is a designer printer, so its interface and build quality are outstanding – even if the prints don’t match up. See all printer reviews.
This sumptuous slab of glass and gloss black is an unlikely all-in-one printer, and it’s as luxurious as they come. It’s just 110mm high with a see-through scanning lid, and when you first turn it on the motorised control panel – complete with colour touchscreen – rises gracefully to greet you. If you think that’s neat, wait until you print something: the thin output tray arm extends automatically too. See also Group test: what's the best multifunction printer?
Everything is designed for a smooth experience, and that includes the initial setup. You’re prompted to go online and create an ePrint account for printing over email, and the wireless security settings are automatically sent to the device. AirPrint worked flawlessly at the first time of asking, too.
If it was easy to make a printer so small and sleek they’d all be doing it, so there are of course compromises. HP’s quoted print speeds of 7ppm for mono and 4ppm for colour are the lowest here, and we didn’t get even hit them in our tests. Draft mono pages came out at 5.8ppm, with normal quality at 3.7ppm – mainly due to overzealous pauses between pages to let the ink dry. Colour pages came out at just 2.8ppm, but a 6 x 4in photo took a more reasonable 63 seconds.
With only two cartridges, quality was never going to match that of the six-ink printers in the group, but our test prints were still okay for the most part. Colours were mostly accurate, although photos had a cold, bluish tinge to them, and text wasn’t particularly crisp. We’d hoped for better given how slowly the prints arrive.
HP Envy 120: Specs
- Max Paper Size: A4
- Paper Handling: 80-sheet input tray, 25-sheet output tray
- Max Paper Size: A4
- Printer Ink Tanks: 2 (1 black, 1 Tri-colour)
- Black print speed: Up to 7 ppm (ISO)
- Min Paper Size: 7.6 x 12.7 cm
- Black resolution: 1200 x 1200 dpi
- Printer Technology: Inkjet
- Other Printer Features: Borderless Printing,Transparencies
- Color print speed: Up to 4 ppm (ISO)
- Color resolution: 4800 x 1200 dpi
- Other Paper Handling Features: Automatic Document Feeder,Duplex Printing
- Display Size: 10.9 cm/4.33 in
- Scanner resolution: 1200 x 1200 dpi
- Weight: 7.9 kg
- Size: 109 x 336.5 x 427mm