When is the Sony Xperia 1 release date?
The Xperia 1 was unveiled on 25 February 2019 at Mobile World Congress. This marks six months on from the launch of the XZ3 at IFA, and the XZ2 launched at MWC six months before that.
Here's how the old and new models compare: Xperia 1 vs Xperia XZ3.
How much will the Sony Xperia 1 cost?
Right now, Vodafone is bundling a PlayStation 4 with Xperia 1 monthly plans.
Sony Xperia 1 specifications and design
These are the key specs:
- 6.5in OLED screen with 4K resolution, 21:9 aspect ratio
- 'X1 for mobile' engine
- Gorilla Glass 6 front and rear
- Triple 12Mp rear cameras (ultra-wide, wide and telephoto)
- Support for recording 4K HDR video in 21:9, 24fps
- 8Mp selfie camera (3D support)
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 855
- 6GB RAM / 128GB storage
- MicroSD up to 512GB
- Hybrid dual-SIM (tray can accept second SIM or microSD)
- 3300mAh battery
- IP68 water-resistant
- Bluetooth 5 / NFC / 802.11ac
- Android 9 Pie
- Colours: Black, Grey, White, Purple
- Dimensions: 167 x 72 x 8.2mm
The big new feature is the 4K HDR screen, using technology from Sony's TVs. As well as the 21:9 aspect ratio, which is the same as most films, it uses OLED tech. That's not a first for a phone of course, but Sony is claiming the combination of the resolution, aspect ratio and HDR is a world first.
There's no headphone jack, nor wireless charging, but you do get stereo speakers with Dolby Atmos support. The fingerprint scanner has been moved back to the side for this phone.
You can read more in our Xperia 1 hands-on first look to find out more about the new features including a game enhancer, Eye AF tracking and other highlights.
Read next: Best New Phones Coming in 2020