A Snapdragon 845 processor with liquid cooling, up to 8GB of RAM, up to 256GB of storage, a 12Mp dual-camera and a 20Mp selfie camera is a spec that has no business in the budget smartphone market - until now, that is. Xiaomi's new sub-brand Pocophone promises ultimate performance without the frills, and its new F1 (reviewed here) is the cheapest Snapdragon 845 phone on the market with a starting price below £250.
When is the Pocophone release date?
The Pocophone was announced in India as the Poco F1 on 22 August 2018. It is now on sale there, and will roll out to other markets gradually.
Confirmed markets for the Pocophone F1 include:
- Americas: Chile; Columbia; Mexico; Uruguay
- Asia: Bangladesh; Hong Kong; India; Indonesia; Kazakhstan; Malaysia; Myanmar; Nepal; Pakistan; Philippines; Singapore; Sri Lanka; Thailand; Vietnam
- Europe: Albania; Austria; Belgium; Bulgaria; Croatia; Czech Republic; Denmark; England; Estonia; Finland; France; Greece; Hungary; Italy; Latvia; Lithuania; Luxembourg; Netherlands; Norway; Poland; Portugal; Romania; Russia; Serbia; Slovakia; Slovenia; Spain; Sweden; Switzerland; Ukraine
- Middle East & Africa: Bahrain; Egypt; Iraq; Israel; Jordan; Kenya; Kuwait; Lebanon; Morocco; Oman; Qatar; Saudi Arabia; South Africa; United Arab Emirates
You'll note that the US, Australia and Canada are among those notably absent from this list.
How much does the Poco F1 cost?
For the standard Pocophone F1 there are three combinations of memory and storage, with the cheapest just 20,999 Rupees, which is roughly £233 or US$300.
There is also an Armoured Edition with a Kevlar back panel - the standard F1 has a polycarbonate rear in Graphite Black, Steel Blue or Rosso Red.
- 6GB RAM + 64GB storage: INR 20,999 (£233/$300)
- 6GB RAM + 128GB storage: INR 23,999 (£266/$343)
- 8GB RAM + 256GB storage: INR 28,999 (£322/$415)
- Armoured Edition (8GB + 256GB): INR 29,999 (£333/$429)
- 6.18in Full-HD+ (1080x2246, 416ppi), 18.7:9 display
- MIUI for Poco OS (custom MIUI 9.6 based on Android Oreo) with Poco Launcher
- 2.8GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 octa-core procesor
- LiquidCool Technology cooling system (300% more effective than non-liquid-cooled solutions)
- 6GB/8GB LPDDR4 RAM
- 64GB/128GB/256GB UFS 2.1 storage
- microSD support up to 256GB
- 12Mp Sony IMX363 + 5Mp AI dual-camera, f/1.9, 1.4um pixels, 4K video
- 20Mp Super Pixel AI selfie camera, f/2.0, 1.8um pixels, 1080p video
- 4G LTE
- Dual-SIM dual-standby (hybrid slot: 1 SIM + microSD or 2x SIM)
- Dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi
- Bluetooth 5.0 with aptX HD
- Rear fingerprint scanner & AI Face Unlock
- 4,000mAh battery (up to 8 hours gaming) with Quick Charge 3.0
Read more about the best new phones coming this year.