Raspberry Pi 3 release date
The RPi 3 is available to buy from 29 February - the fourth anniversary of the launch of the original.
Raspberry Pi 3 price
Raspberry Pi 3 specs
Here are the highlights:
- 1.2GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 CPU (~10x the performance of Raspberry Pi 1)
- Integrated 802.11n wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.1
- 1GB RAM
- 4x USB ports
- Full size HDMI output
- MicroSD slot
- MicroUSB port for power
- 40-pin extended GPIO
- 4 pole Stereo output and Composite video port
- CSI camera port for connecting the Raspberry Pi camera
- Complete compatibility with Raspberry Pi 1 and 2
- DSI display port for connecting the Raspberry Pi touch screen display
The 10x figure comes from a multi-threaded benchmark like SysBench. RPi says real-world apps will see between a 2.5x and 20x performance boost over the first-gen board.
The older models will still be on sale - the Raspberry Pi doesn't replace them.
The connections are in the same place as the second-gen model and the board can still be powered by a 5V micro-USB power adapter. Raspberry Pi recommends a 2.5A adapter if you're going to be connecting power-hungry USB devices to the Raspberry Pi.