The phone runs Android One, addressing the issues we’ve had with past excellent Xiaomi phones that didn’t run Google apps as they were Chinese imports. Not this time!
Here’s everything you need to know about the Xiaomi Mi A2 and A2 Lite.
When is the Xiaomi Mi A2 release date?
The Mi A2 and A2 Lite launched in Spain on 24 July and Xiaomi says “the devices will be rolled out gradually in 40 markets around the world, with availability starting late July.”
Maddeningly, there is still no official UK launch, although many European countries are getting the device.
How much does the Xiaomi Mi A2 cost?
Pricing was given in Euros for the Spanish market.
The Mi A2 pricing is 4/32GB for €249, 4/64GB for €279 and 6/128GB for €349.
The Mi A2 Lite pricing is 3/32GB for €179 and 4/64GB for €229.
What are the Xiaomi Mi A2 specs?
While the two phones look very similar on the outside, there are some important differences on the inside.
The main differences include the notch and curved corner display on the 19:9 A2 Lite compared to the 18:9 rectangular screen on the A2. The regular A2 also has a better processor, better camera set up and the option of 6GB RAM.
The camera set up in the A2 is particularly impressive sounding, and the Snapdragon 660 should hopefully see decent performance and excellent battery life.
Here are those specs in full:
Xiaomi Mi A2 specs
- Colours: Rose Gold, Flame Red, Sand Gold, Glacier Blue, Black
- Display: 18:9 5.99in Full-HD+, 2160 x 1080
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 660
- GPU: Adreno 512
- Screen Lock: Face Unlock or fingerprint sensor
- Primary camera: 20Mp + 12Mp Sony IMX486 Picture Perfect dual-camera, f/1.75, 1.25um pixels
- Front camera: 20Mp Sony IMX376
- AI Scene detection: Intelligent optimisation after a photo has been taken
- Battery: 3010mAh
- Charging: USB-C, Quick Charge 3 (50% in 30 mins)
- Dimensions: 158.7mm x 75.4mm x 7.3mm, 166g
- Dual SIM
Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite specs
- Colours: Sand Gold, Glacier Blue, Black
- Display: 19:9 5.84in Full-HD+
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 625
- GPU: Adreno 506
- Screen Lock: Fingerprint sensor
- Primary camera: 12Mp + 5Mp dual-camera
- Front camera: 5Mp
- Battery: 4000mAh
- Charging: Micro USB
- Dimensions: 149.33mm x 71.68mm x 8.75mm, 178g
Both phones run Android One. This is a version of Android that promises a clean, close-to-stock operating system and timely security and software updates through Google's Project Treble.
This means the Mi A2 and A2 Lite run Android Oreo 8.1 out the box, have smarter longer lasting batteries and have Google Assistant and Lens integration. A pure Google Xiaomi phone could be what boosts the company in Europe, as previously Chinese imports could not run Google services.