The 'api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll is missing' error has been plaguing users for a long time, but thankfully it’s not too difficult to fix. There are a couple of different ways in which you can do this, and we’re going to show you how to do all of them in our quick guide.
Are you sure you're keeping yourself safe while you're browsing the web? Have a look at our guide on how to protect yourself online.
What is api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll error?
The api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll missing error occurs when that specific file can’t be accessed by Windows. This could be for a number of reasons, most likely the file has been corrupted and needs to be recovered or reinstalled.
How do I fix the api-ms-win-crt-runtime-l1-1-0.dll error?
As with most software applications, repairing it or reinstalling it is the best way to fix any error. The file itself is part of the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015. You can check if you have this on your machine by going to Add or Remove programs, and you’ll find it in the list there.
To fix the error, try these steps.
Check for Windows Updates
- Hit start at the bottom left of your screen and type ‘update’ into the box and hit 'Windows update'.
- The ‘check for updates’ option should appear at the top. Click that to open it up.
- Hit the ‘Check for updates’ button that is on display.
- If there is something to install Windows will say so, so make sure you hit ‘Install updates’ when you see it pop up.
If you do have something to download and install, then do so and then restart your computer.
Repair the Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 file.
Find your way back into add/remove programs, and navigate your way down to the above file, ‘Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015’.
- Right click on it, and hit Change.
- A new window will open up and will allow you to hit the ‘Repair’ option.
- Complete the steps as prompted by the repair wizard.
Manually download Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 directly from Microsoft
If you’re still having no luck with the above options then you can download the software manually.
- Head over to this download link on Microsoft’s website and hit the download button.
- Select your system type x64 or x86 and hit next.
- The file will start to download. When it’s done, double click the download and follow the instructions to completed the installation.