With millions working from home around the world, it would be a terrible time for your PC or laptop to stop working properly.
However, that's just what's been happening to a growing number of Surface Pro 7 users. On the official Microsoft forums, people have been complaining about their device shutting down randomly. This can range from a minor inconvenience when browsing, to a major headache if you haven't been able to save your work.
The flexibility of Microsoft's latest 2-in-1 would normally make it a perfect work from home device. Microsoft is working on an official patch for the issue, but in the meantime a potential fix has been found.
How to fix the Surface Pro 7 random shutdown bug
As has been reported by Windows Latest, following these steps should fix the issue for most people:
- Make sure the Surface Pro 7 is on (even if only temporarily) and head to the Microsoft Store
- Search for 'Intel Graphics Command Center'
- Download the Command Center app from the store and open it once installed
- Head to Settings - System - Power where you should find a heading called 'Panel Self Refresh'
- Make sure the options for 'On Battery' and 'Plugged In' are both set to off
- Restart your device (manually) to ensure any changes are applied
If the problem persists, we'd recommend trying more solutions suggested in the Microsoft Forums.