Getting organised in Windows 10 is more simple than you might think as you can colour-code your files and folders to be more eye-catching, making it that much easier to find what you’re looking for.
This option doesn’t come built into Windows 10, however, so you’ll have to make use of some free software to customise your files. Thankfully it’s nice and simple to use.
How to change the colour of your files in Windows 10
- Download Folder Marker Free
- Double-click the downloaded file, this will bring up the installation wizard to help you install it
- Find the Folder Marker Free icon on your desktop. Double-click it to open
- Click on the folder with the “...” at the top right and navigate to the folder you wish to change the colour of. I’m going to use a ‘Test Folder’ on my desktop as an example
- Select the colour you’d like your folder to become in the box below
- Once you’ve made your selections, hit Apply at the bottom of the window
- You can also change the icons of the file or folder to help them stand out. To do this, simply click the “Main” tab next to the “Colors” tab and you’ll be presented with some icons that you can change your files to. Follow the same process as before, select the file you wish to change and the icon you wish to change it to - and hit Apply at the bottom
How to create custom desktop icons in Windows 10
- You can also create personalised desktop Icons with Folder Marker Free
- Click the “User Icons” tab as displayed below. Select “+ Add” and then select the image you wish to use for a folder from its location on your computer
- Once you’ve done this, select the image in the window, make sure you have the correct file address in the top window and hit apply
If you’re looking for some more tips to help make your Windows experience easier and more efficient, we have a handy article here for just that.