Sharing and transferring files is becoming a much larger part of daily life. As internet speeds get faster across the world we’re able to send bigger files much more quickly, but we still need a service to facilitate this transfer. So if you'd like to know how to move or transfer your files safely, then look no further.
If you’re already using a cloud storage solution such as Dropbox, then you will already be able to share files securely. However, if you’re not using a cloud storage solution then another service such as WeTransfer allows you to share your files quickly and for free.
If you’re in the market for a cloud storage solution, have a look at our round up of the best cloud storage providers for 2018.
How to share files using Dropbox
Once you’ve uploaded your files to Dropbox you can also use the service to share them. Thankfully, this feature is very simple to use.
On your desktop app:
- Right click on the file you wish to share and select ‘copy Dropbox link’.
- You will now have a link to your file saved on your clipboard, and you can paste it to anyone you wish.
- When the open the link they will be able to view your file.
If you’re online:
- Open up the file, and click on the ‘Share’ button at the top of the screen.
- Click on ‘Copy Link’ for a link that you can paste somewhere, or type in an email address to send your file to someone directly.
This link will allow anyone to access the file once it’s been shared, and you don’t need a Dropbox account to open the link.
How to share your files using WeTransfer
WeTransfer is a service that allows you to transfer files of up to 2GB for free, and files of up to 20GB if you go with their paid option.
The service is very simple to use and doesn’t require you to set up an account to move files of under 2GB.
- Head over to WeTransfer.com
- On the left of the screen you’ll see a small white panel. Enter your recipient's email, your email and a message. Add your file and then hit transfer at the bottom.
- You will get an e-mail notifying you that your transfer has started, and the recipient will receive an e-mail with a download link when it is ready.
The link will expire after a certain amount of time, and your files will be removed from the Cloud. Do note that this is not a storage solution. As the name suggests, it’s just a method for transferring your files from one place to another.
How to share your files with an encrypted ZIP file
If you’re worried about security then using an encrypted ZIP file is one of the most secure ways to move your files. You will also want to use open source software, to ensure you’re using a program that can be trusted.
7-Zip is ideal for this solution, but because it’s more secure there are a few more steps to follow when transferring your file.
- Download 7-Zip from their website.
- Open it up, and find the files you’d like to send.
- Right click on them, and select ‘Go to 7-Zip’ and then ‘Add to Archive’.
- A window will appear. Leave the values as they are and under ‘Encryption Method’ select AES-256. Enter the password that you’d like to use to encrypt the file.
- Hit ‘OK’ to create the archive, and then e-mail the ZIP file to your intended recipient. Send them the password to unlock the file, but don’t send it in the same e-mail, do it over text or something else instead.
The one issue with this method is that it will require the recipient at the other end to have software that is able to unpack and open encrypted archives. They’ll also need to download 7-Zip, or another program that does the same thing, to unlock the files.