If you’re a regular frequenter of popular Facebook pages and groups, then you might have spotted a little jewel icon with the legend Top Fan on some of your fellow commenter’s posts. These mark those individuals out as, well, Top Fans. So, what are they and how do you get one? We explain.
What is a Facebook Top Fan badge?
There are a variety of badges that appear on people’s posts within Facebook pages or groups: initially just Top Fan and Valued Commenter, but now some new badges are now available to Facebook groups.
As the names suggest, the former is awarded to those who are the most active and engaged on a page or group, while the latter honours people who regularly post comments.
New badges available to groups with 50 or more members include:
- Admin or Moderator: Shows you who is responsible for managing the page
- New member: Highlights who is new to the group so you can make them feel welcome
- Group anniversary: Appears on the anniversary of the day that person joined the group to celebrate their commitment
- Conversation starter: Someone who regularly creates new posts that show decent engagement through likes and comments
- Founding member: Acknowledges those who have been there from the beginning (within the first three days), helping you build membership and engagement
- Conversation booster: Recognises those who encourage others to contribute or who provide valuable comments
- Visual storyteller: Someone who routinely shares useful photos and video
- Greeter: Someone who frequently responds to comments from new members
- Link curator: Someone who regularly shares useful links to sources of information elsewhere on the web
- Rising star: New members that receive the most comments and reactions within their first month of membership to a group
Group admins can turn these badges on or off by visitng Settings > Admin Tools & Insights > Group Badges.
How can I get a Top Fan badge?
The answer is simple: take a very active part in the life of a page or group. This includes watching videos that are posted, liking and sharing posts, and of course commenting.
There are a few stipulations though. The page or group in question must have over 10,000 followers, so this will no doubt rule out your local church group or book club. The page must also have enabled the Facebook badges feature for this all to work.
You can see who the Top Fans of a page are by visiting it and clicking on the Community option in the left-hand column. This will then present you with a box at the top entitled Top fans, listing the chosen few inside.
How to award Top Fan badges
On a PC on laptop open Facebook and navigate to your page or group. Select the Settings tab, then click Facebook badges in the lefthand column. Ensure the slider next to Turn on top fan badges is set to On.
That’s it, your Top Fans should now be automatically selected when they reach the required level of interaction.
How to remove Top Fan badges
If, at any point, you wish to revoke this privilege, simply click on a comment by the Top Fan and select the Remove Badge option.
Alternatively, select Community from the lefthand column, find the person for whom you want to remove the privilege, then tap the three dots next to their name and select Remove Top Fan Badge.
Here's how to send a message in Facebook without needing Messenger installed.