If you're familiar with Apple's AirDrop feature, you'll instantly know what Huawei Share is - a proprietary wireless file-sharing technology exclusive to select Huawei devices (with a little extra functionality for good measure).
Put simply, it's a great way to share photos at full quality, as well as other types of files without having to email them, use Whatsapp or resort to a cloud file sharing service.
Here's everything you need to know about it, including how to use it.
What is Huawei Share?
The name 'Huawei Share' actually encompasses a number of different features, depending on the use case in question. The basic Huawei Share experience lets you quickly share files to nearby Huawei/Honor devices via a mix of Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.
Huawei Share OneHop adds easy NFC-based pairing between supported Huawei/Honor phones (or tablets) with Huawei laptops, while an offshoot of OneHop is Multi-Screen Collaboration - which lets a user mirror and interact with their Huawei/Honor phone via their Huawei tablet or laptop, including the ability to drag and drop text and files between the two, seamlessly.
NOTE: You'll need to check your device compatibility on Huawei's website to see which Huawei Share features are supported.
Related: Best Huawei phone 2020
How to use Huawei Share
Transferring files between Huawei/Honor devices is a pretty simple affair, but you need to make sure your device is correctly set up first.
- Make sure Huawei Share is enabled on your Huawei/Honor phone/tablet, either by swiping down to access your quick settings panel and tapping the 'Huawei Share' icon to turn it on or by heading to 'Settings > More Connections > Huawei Share' and toggling it on.
- Once enabled, you'll notice your device's Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are now both 'on' (if there weren't already). They need to remain on for Huawei Share to work.
- Next, find the link, photo or file you want to transfer and highlight/select it accordingly. Depending on the app you're sharing from, you'll either see the option to access the Share menu directly (denoted by three dots connected by two lines) or you'll have to tap More (denoted by three vertical dots) and look for the option to share then.
- Once you've tapped to share, a screen will pop up showing the various apps and methods of transfer available for the content selected. Above all of them should be a section devoted to Huawei Share, which will show up any available devices that also have Huawei Share enabled.
- Tap the device you want to share to and the receiving device should show a pop up asking whether the user would like to accept the file.
- Accept and the file will download to, and by accessible via, the Files app.
How to use Huawei Share OneHop/Multi-screen collaboration
- If you're planning to use Huawei Share OneHop to pair your phone to your computer and NFC isn't yet enabled on your Huawei/Honor phone, you'll find the option in the quick settings pane or in the More Connections menu, both mentioned in step 1 of the previous section.
- Once NFC (and Huawei Share) is enabled, simply hold your phone on the NFC tag on your Huawei laptop (usually to the bottom-right of the keyboard).
- A prompt should appear on your phone, giving you the option to 'connect' to your laptop.
- Once you tap 'connect' a prompt should then appear on your laptop, asking you to 'allow' you phone to connect - click 'allow'.
- On compatible devices, a mirror of your phone will then appear on your laptop screen, which will both double any actions you perform on your phone, or can be interacted with directly using your laptop's mouse, keyboard and touchscreen.
- You can also drag and drop files and text between the two, alongside using features like 'copy' and 'paste'.
Which devices support Huawei Share?
Huawei Share is supported by a number of both Huawei and Honor devices but it's not just phones. Offerings like the company's top-tier tablet, the MatePad Pro, as well as its latest laptops - the Huawei MateBook D 14 and MateBook Pro X (2020) - also play nice with Huawei Share. Here's a list of compatible devices (at the time of writing):
- Huawei P40
- Huawei P40 Pro
- Huawei P40 Pro+
- Huawei Mate Xs
- Huawei Mate 30
- Huawei Mate 30 Pro
- Huawei Mate 30 RS
- Huawei Nova 5T
- Huawei P30
- Huawei P30 Pro
- Huawei Mate 20
- Huawei Mate 20 Pro
- Huawei Mate 20 X
- Huawei Mate 20 RS
- Huawei Mate 10
- Huawei Mate 10 Pro
- Huawei Mate RS
- Huawei Mate 9
- Huawei Mate 9 Pro
- Huawei P10
- Huawei P10 Plus
- Huawei P20
- Huawei P20 Pro
- Huawei MatePad Pro
- Huawei MediaPad T3
- Huawei MediaPad M5
- Huawei MediaPad M5 Pro
- Huawei MateBook Pro X (2020)
- Huawei MateBook D 14
- Huawei MateBook D 15
- Huawei MateBook Pro X (2019)
- Huawei MateBook 13 (2019)
- Honor V30
- Honor V30 Pro
- Honor 9X
- Honor 9X Pro
- Honor 20
- Honor 20 Pro
- Honor Magic2
- Honor 9
- Honor V9
- Honor 10
- Honor V10
- Honor V20
- Honor Play
Read next: How to use AirDrop on an iPhone, iPad or Mac