Samsung has added the ability to display GIFs on the Always On Display. These will loop only once, so won't drain battery life, and are a fun alternative to a static image.
To add GIFs to the Always On Display you'll need a Galaxy S8, S8+, S9, S9+ or Note 8. You'll also need to be running version 220.127.116.11 of the AOD app, so you'll need to update your app if the below steps aren't working for you.
We're going to assume you have already selected a GIF you want to use and downloaded it to your phone.
- Open the Gallery app on your Samsung phone
- Select the Albums tab and find your GIF. It will likely be in the Animated GIF folder, but scroll down for more options
- Open your GIF and tap the three dots in the top-right corner of the screen
- Select 'Set as Always On Display image'
- Use a pinch gesture to resize and reposition the GIF to fill the preview window
- You can also see alternative GIF options by tapping Add GIF at the bottom of the screen
- If you're happy to stick with your current GIF then tap Apply at the top right of the screen
Read next: What's coming in the Galaxy Note 9?