VPNs seem to be everywhere these days. From computers to laptops, smartphones to tablets, there are VPN apps that allow quick access to a protected internet connection everywhere, and despite a lack of VPN apps on the Xbox One and PS4, there is still a way to use a VPN on consoles.
While it’s not as straightforward as other devices, there are ways to use a VPN on your Xbox One – and here is where we show you how.
Why would I use a VPN on my Xbox One?
Before we outline the various ways in which you can use a VPN on your Xbox One, we should first address why it’s a good idea.
First of all, depending on the quality of the VPN provider and the VPN server location, you may actually see a reduction in lag when online gaming. Many VPNs connect console users through dedicated P2P & gaming servers that send your traffic through ‘hot points’ between data centres, reducing lag.
Beyond improvements to your online gaming, you may also be able to access games that aren’t officially available in your country.
Typically speaking, games that are launched on the same day worldwide will first appear on the Australian store, thanks to the difference in time zones. But, by using a VPN, you can trick your console into thinking you’re in Australia and provide early access to the game.
Oh, and as with other devices, using a VPN may grant you access to geo-locked content from the likes of Netflix on your Xbox One.
Set up Xbox One VPN via Wi-Fi router
The easiest way to use VPN services on your Xbox One is to set up a VPN on your home Wi-Fi router. Now, there are two ways that you can do this. The first option is to buy a newer Wi-Fi router that offers support for built-in VPN services – these are available online from the likes of ExpressVPN. Admittedly it may be a little costly, but it’s the easiest way to use a VPN on your Xbox and any other device connected to your home Wi-Fi too.
If that’s too much for you, buy your own VPN subscription and manually input the VPN details into your Wi-Fi router. The issue is that depending on both the brand of router and VPN provider, the steps can vary, so it’s almost impossible to provide a step-by-step guide on how to do it – refer to your router’s manual for more information.
Set up Xbox One VPN via PC
If setting up the VPN via your home router isn’t an option, you can also use your PC to connect your Xbox One to a VPN. Before we begin, make sure you have an Ethernet cable, a PC or laptop, your Xbox One and an active VPN subscription to hand. If you’re unsure of which VPN to choose, take a look at our selection of the best gaming VPNs of 2018.
- Install the VPN software of your choice on your PC.
- Plug an Ethernet cable into the back of your Xbox One and into your PC.
- On your PC, open Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center and click Change Adaptor Settings on the left-hand side of the window.
- Right-click on the icon with the name of your VPN and click Properties.
- Open the Sharing tab and be sure that ‘Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection’ is selected.
- Test the internet connection on your Xbox One – if all has gone well, you should now be able to access Xbox One services via a VPN.
Set up Xbox One VPN via Mac
What about if you’ve got a Mac instead of PC? Don’t worry, because macOS offers something similar to the PC-orientated method above. You’ll need many of the same items too – an Ethernet cable, a Mac desktop or laptop, an Xbox One and an active VPN subscription.
We’ve also rounded up the best VPNs for Mac if you need help choosing a Mac-supported VPN.
- Install your chosen VPN software on your Mac.
- Plug an Ethernet cable into the back of your Xbox One and Mac.
- Head to System Preferences > Sharing and select Internet Sharing from the list on the left of the window.
- From the ‘Share your connection from’ drop-down, select Wi-Fi.
- From the ‘To computers using’ list, make sure Ethernet is selected. If you use an Ethernet cable to connect to the Internet on your Mac, share your connection using Wi-Fi instead.
- Check the box to the left of Internet Sharing on the list to enable the sharing of your internet connection between your Mac and Xbox One. A green icon will appear if successful.
- Open the VPN software on your Mac and connect to your chosen server.
- Test the internet connection on your Xbox One – if you’ve followed the steps correctly, you should now be using a VPN on your Xbox One.