While Pokémon Masters was officially revealed by the Pokémon Company in May 2019, the game is yet to be released for iOS and Android devices. Pre-registration is now live in both the App Store and Google Play ahead of a broad ‘Summer 2019’ release, but what if you want to play it right now?
While it’s not as straightforward as installing an app from Google Play or the App Store, there is a way to play Pokémon Masters this very second, and here’s how to do it.
When will Pokémon Masters be released?
There’s no firm release date in place just yet, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have a rough idea of when to expect the game. The official line is ‘Summer 2019’ but, interestingly, the App Store listing for Pokémon Masters suggests that the game will be released on 28 August 2019.
Admittedly, this hasn’t been confirmed by the Pokémon Company, Apple’s mobile pre-order pages have been the source of multiple leaked release dates in the past, so we’re confident that it’ll appear on or around this date if the beta tests go smoothly.
Those beta tests are going on right now in Singapore and Canada, so if you’re lucky enough to live in either country, you can download the full game from the App Store or Google Play right now.
Those that live in the UK, US and most other countries around the world don’t have that option, but that doesn’t mean there’s no way to download and play Pokémon Masters right now. Carry on reading to find out how.
How to play Pokémon Masters right now
While Pokémon Masters isn’t available in the UK, US and the most of the world until later this summer, lucky Pokémon fans in Canada and Singapore can download the game right now, allowing the developers to stress-test servers, fine-tune the features of the game and more before a global release.
There’s no way to access the game via Google Play or the App Store in the UK or US, there is a way to play Pokémon Masters right now regardless of your geographical location – but there are risks involved, and it’s Android-only right now (sorry iOS users!).
Yes, you can’t download it outside of those specific regions on Google Play but you can download the APK installation file (for Android users) from a variety of third-party sites.
That’s where the potential issue arises; while we’ve used and installed the APK we link to below, we can’t guarantee that it’s free from malware and other code that can be used to access private information on your smartphone.
If you do decide to go ahead but want extra protection, you should consider installing an antivirus app on your Android.
Oh, and you’ll need to use a VPN to play the game, as the app verifies that you’re in Singapore or Canada every time you open it.
If those warnings haven’t put you off, follow these instructions to download and play Pokémon Masters right now:
- Head to the APKDone Pokémon Masters listing on your Android smartphone.
- Tap Download APK, and then tap Download APK File V1.00 to initiate the download of the Pokémon Masters installation file.
- At this point, you may need to give Chrome permission to store files on your device. Accept the prompt, and once it has finished downloading, follow the on-screen instructions to install the app on your smartphone.
- Once installed, don’t open the app straight away.
- Next, you’ll have to download and setup the VPN of your choice. We used CyberGhost during testing, which has a dedicated Singapore server perfect for use with Pokémon Masters, but there are plenty of great VPNs for you to choose from.
- Once you’ve installed and set up your VPN, connect to a Singapore- or Canada-based DNS server.
Finally, you can open Pokémon Masters and enjoy all the game has to offer! Once the game is officially released later this Summer, simply delete the app and re-download it from Google Play – as long as you’ve linked the game to your Nintendo account, progress should transfer.