HBO Max has now launched, and whilst US viewers can get excited for all the shows and films on the platform, international viewers will sadly miss out on this new streaming giant that has the likes of Friends, the Studio Ghibli movies and the DC catalogue.
Watch HBO Max using a VPN
Whilst sign ups are now live on the HBO Max website, you won’t be able to open the website on your normal UK browser due to the site only being available in the US. However, this is easily overcome through the use of a VPN.
Having a VPN (virtual private network) allows you to change your IP address so you can browse the internet as if you’re based in another country. For HBO Max, you will need a US server. For the best performance and pricing we recommend either NordVPN or ExpressVPN. You can also take a look at our list of the best VPNs for HBO Max.
Once you’ve chosen your VPN, you’ve got past the first hurdle of watching HBO Max. The next will be when you need to input your payment information.
Billing information for HBO Max
For the next step, you’ll need the HBO Max app. We have successfully tested this method using NordVPN - based on our experience of accessing HBO Now from the UK.
Once you've signed up for your VPN of choice, you'll need to download it on either your iOS or Android device. The HBO Max website currently only allows you to sign up if you have a payment card that's tied to the US. If you don't have that, here's the steps you should take:
- Launch your VPN on your iOS/Android device and connect to a US server
- Create a new Apple ID/Google Play account in your browser that's tied to the US (leave the country blank)
- Register your new account on your iOS/Android device app store
- You should now have access to the US app store - download the HBO Max app
- Create a new account with your email address and password
- Use Paypal as your method of payment (this can be a UK account)
- Once your account is verified, you can sign in from any device
You should now be able to watch HBO Max as if you were in the US, providing you have a VPN on the device you're using