Google now sells a whole range of Google Home devices. If you've just bought or received a Google Home, Home Mini, Home Max, or Nest Mini, here's how to get it set up within minutes.
1. Unpack the Google Home and plug it in. It will take a few seconds to start up.
4. Having launched the app, tap the + Add icon on the main Home dashboard. Now choose Set up device, followed by 'Set up new devices in your home'. You can have more than one 'Home' in the app, but let's assume you don't: Home should be preselected, so just tap Next.
5. The app will automatically search for your device, so select it when it appears in the list. When the two are successfully connected you’ll hear a sound. When you hear this click ‘I heard it’. If you don’t hear the sound click ‘Try again’.
(These screens are from the older version of the app so will look a little different, though the setup process is the same from this point.)
6. The app will ask you to specify in which room of the house your device will be kept. This is of importance if you later decide to buy additional Google Home units and want to configure a multi-room setup. Select a room and tap Continue.
7. Now you’ll need to connect the Google Home to your home Wi-Fi network. Choose it from the list, enter your password and tap Continue. Tap Continue again when it confirms Google Home is connected to your Wi-Fi network.
8. Next you need to connect your Google account to the Google Assistant, which you can do by tapping Sign in. If you have several Google accounts on your device you’ll need to select which you want to use, then tap ‘Continue as [your name]’.
9. You’ll be prompted to allow Google Home to turn on a couple of account activity settings on your device - ‘Web & App Activity’ and ‘Device Information’. Tap ‘Yes, I’m in’. On the next screen, tap Continue. Google Home will then ask whether you want to enable personal results, which allows anyone in speaking range to access that information on your account. (You can set up multiple accounts later.) Tap Allow.
10. On the next screen check the address Google suggests is your home address (or the place in which you will be using Google Home). If you need to change any details, tap on the pencil icon. Otherwise tap ‘Set location’.
11. Now you’ll be asked whether you want to receive email notifications on new features, apps, offers and more for Google Home and the Google Assistant. Enable or disable the slider, then tap Continue.
12. Next up is music. If you have an active Google Play Music subscription running on your device it will automatically find and select it, though you can optionally choose to link a Spotify Free or Premium account here.
If you have neither, on this screen you should be prompted to sign up for a free trial of Google Play Music, though you don’t have to do so. It is still possible to enjoy music streaming on Google Home without a subscription. When you’ve made your selection tap ‘Continue’.
13. Google Home is now set up and will run through a tutorial that explains how to use the device. Tap either ’Skip tutorial’ or ‘Continue’, then simply follow the prompts. Google will show you the basics, but more some more entertaining responses check out our guide to 101 funny things to ask Google Home.
If you have more than one Google Home to set up you will likely want to set up a home group.