Hot Topics

We regret to inform you that the PC Advisor Forums are now closed, and you are unable to post new comments or conversations. If you have a question about the forums, please contact us.

You've been signed in temporary profile in Windows

Anon-276773 23:45 03 Nov 2017

MY PC froze a few days ago and on rebooting I tried to sign in and got the message you have been signed in with a temporary profile in Windows. I have Windows 10. I have tried to find my old profile using the wmic useraccount where name='' get sid in command prompt, but assume my user name is the one I sign in with, and it shows it isn't available. Any help appreciated as I had quite a bit on my desktop which has now disappeared. I have tried to go back to a previous restore point but they have all disappeared, too.

Anon-319210 10:44 04 Nov 2017
  1. Search, type regedit to open Registry Editor
  2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

3. Click each S-1-5 folder and double-click the ProfileImagePath entry to find which user account it relates to. (If the folder name ends with .ba or .bak rename them (as per MS instructions here)

4. When you have found the corrupt user profile (and it doesn’t have a .bak ending), double-click RefCount and change the Value data to 0 and click OK. %. Ddouble-click on State, checke the Value data is 0 and click OK.
  5. Close Registry Editor and restart (not shutdown) the PC
  Anon-338298 12:08 04 Nov 2017

Moved to the Windows help forum from Tech Helproom.

Anon-276773 16:57 04 Nov 2017

Hi Fruit Bat. Thanks for your help. In order to use my PC over the last few days I created a new user, and both have the same name. Is there a way I can tell which is the oldest of the two users so that I can ake the changes to the c orrect user (I am assuming it is the first one as that has a .bak ending and a corresponding SID entry with the same numbers and without the .bak))

Anon-319210 18:25 04 Nov 2017

Yes it sounds like it. but back up any data in your latest user before making any changes.

Anon-276773 22:23 04 Nov 2017

Thanks - I will back-up on second user tomorrow and try safe mode first (once I've figured out how to do that!). The second user has the same name but a different email address and different password so hopefully it won't be a problem.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Chromecast with Google TV is missing a major feature

Apple iMac 2020 review

Jon Prosser: 'iPhone 12 Event on 13 October'

Les meilleures dashcam (2020)

/forum/windows-29/youve-been-signed-temporary-profile-windows-4650986/