Your connection to this site is not private.

indego 12:33 18 Sep 2016

Hi all, A kettle malfunctioned and tripped a switch in the fuse box that disarmed the electrical sockets in the house that supplied the power to the Sky hub that my pc is connected to using the password of the Sky hub. The kettle has been replaced and the power restored.

At the time of the power failure, the pc (a HP Pavilion running Win 7) was powered up and working fine.

Since having the power restored and going online, I have noticed in the address bar and to the left of the www.techadvisor.co.uk there is a circle which, at the centre has an exclamation (!) mark. With my mouse pointer hovering over the mark, I can view the site information which shows 'Your connection to this site is not private'.

Can someone please advise on how I can remedy this.

Thank you in advance of a solution.

Bazzaman 13:02 18 Sep 2016

I'm guessing that you are using Chrome.

That being the case, Chrome was recently updated (as it is every week or two / three / four) and the symbols used in the address bar changed. The circle with the ! is what now usually appears with a non-secure web page (click here By way of contrast a secure page (click here shows a green padlock.

The PCA website is not secure (and is not intended to be).

Bazzaman 13:03 18 Sep 2016

Ignore the "click here" in the poasting I just made - that's just the PCA website getting things wrong (again).

Bazzaman 13:04 18 Sep 2016

poasting? Must be thinking of the poast lamb (sorry roast lamb) I'm having tonight.

lotvic 13:15 18 Sep 2016

I'm using Firefox, and get the i (for information) it's quite normal click here if you click on the i it gives you site info.

indego 15:12 18 Sep 2016

Thank you, Bazzaman and lotvic. Can I take it then that my system is stable and not open to the 'nasties' ie viruses etc.

robin_x 16:07 18 Sep 2016

Can I take it then that my system is stable and not open to the 'nasties' ie viruses etc.

Some reputable sites are letting their Certificates lapse or not renewing them correctly. I don't know all the ins and outs, but it's always worth a Google to (usually) get reassurance.

=-=-=-=

In terms of protecting yourself against nasties, always have an Antivirus running.

Scan periodically with something like Malwarebytes Free

Create a Restore Point regularly and also make backups.

You can also backup data and have a Windows DVD/Flash for reinstalling Windows after corruption/catastrophe.

And/or you can make regular System Image Backups to another (usually external) drive. That backs up everything. Windows and apps and data

lotvic 16:47 18 Sep 2016

Can I take it then that my system is stable and not open to the 'nasties' ie viruses etc.

No, the i is only for information about the page provided by your web browser, some content and behaviour can be selected - see my link above and scroll down its page for Firefox choices. Nasties and Virus protection is the job of your Anti-this and that programs.

Bazzaman 17:10 18 Sep 2016

In the context of your original query (i.e the circle with the !), there is no indication that anything is amiss. As to whether your system has other issues - that we cannot tell.

Forum Editor 18:26 18 Sep 2016

A secure site is one that has https at the beginning of the page address, coupled with a small green padlock icon.

Secure servers are used for transaction and e-banking sites.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone 11 Pro vs Huawei P30 Pro: How Pro should you go?

IBC 2019: new video tools from Adobe, Blackmagic, Lenovo and more

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Les meilleurs appareils connect├ęs compatibles avec Google Home (2019)