'Your computer is low on memory' - How to fix?

MrTipx 08:57 09 Jun 2017
Answered

I am constantly getting the windows popup 'Your computer is low on memory,save your files and close these programs: ' pretty much every time I open Google Chrome. This comes up even when I only have 2-3 tabs open at once. This has only started to happen yesterday, it has worked fine for the whole of this year so far. It causes my laptop to close Chrome and other applications randomly whenever it 'runs out of memory'.

I have tried uninstalling all unnecessary applications I have, I have run CCleaner, and I have check my virtual memory and it seems to be fie, although I don't know exactly what it should be like.

Any help would be appreciated, if anymore information is needed I will try to provide it.

alanrwood 10:08 09 Jun 2017

It might be better to tell us some details about the system ie which version of Windows, 32 or 64 bit, how much memory you have installed.

MrTipx 10:21 09 Jun 2017

I have Windows 8.1 64bit with an Intel i3 processor. I have 4GB of RAM, 3.89 GB of which is usable. I cannot access things like file explorer to check this as it is closed immediately to save memory.

wee eddie 11:07 09 Jun 2017

Are you sure that that is 64bit. 3.89MB RAM sounds more like a 32 bit System

MrTipx 11:55 09 Jun 2017

I can't send a screenshot as it just closes itself, but the OS is Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600)

wee eddie 12:06 09 Jun 2017

Have you checked what programs that you have opening at Start-up. You could use CCleaner to try and reduce the number, as each of them will be using a little memory.

Most programs will open when you click on a file that needs it. You don't need them to be open all the time. All you really need to open at Start-up is your Anti Virus and Security Software

MrTipx 12:39 09 Jun 2017

I have removed all unnecessary startup programs as you suggested. However, the problem persists, but now closes chrome as soon as it is opened without a warning or notification or anything.

wee eddie 12:43 09 Jun 2017

What Security Software are you running?

MrTipx 12:56 09 Jun 2017

I have Macafee. It hasn't found any threats in the past couple days before this started, and it no longer runs now either.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:03 09 Jun 2017
Answer

How long since you did a "restart" not just a "shut down"?

Start power - restart

see what happens after its has rebooted.

MrTipx 14:22 09 Jun 2017

After two restarts it appears to be working as normal so far. Thanks to everyone who replied. Wish I'd known it'd be that simple eariler.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

How map doodles inspired Eric Chase Anderson's illustrations for a Wes Anderson classic

Mac mini 2018 review

Quel est le meilleur iPad (pour la plupart des gens) ?