XP user profile no longer works

GertrudeLouise 11:26 08 Oct 2015

My desktop is an XP machine and has two user profiles, me and my husband. On Sunday all was working normally. I use AVG Zen Antivirus, Driver update and PC maintainence. AVG installed an upgraded driver for a Samsung printer and all continued OK.

On switching off I agreed to some Windows updates.

The next time the machine was switched on, my husband's profile and personal settings could not be loaded. Windows provided a basic screen, but I could not open any programmes or access any files.

I logged onto my proflie which seems to be working normally and could access shared files on the other profile, which saved a small crisis.

I have a restore point made before the driver upgrade and tried that, but was informed that the computer could not be restored. What is the use of Windows Restore if this is the case? Why won't it Restore?

My local computer guru says I am not alone with this problem and that it would take hours of work to retrieve the situation. This would be a difficult time to be without the machine, even in its partly crippled state. Is there anything I can do if Restore will not work---or is there a way to get Restore to work?

GertrudeLouise

Govan1x 12:05 08 Oct 2015

Try the system restore in safe mode see if it works on there.

Govan1x 12:08 08 Oct 2015

Safe mode. Just keep tapping F8 as the computer starts and choose safe mode with networking.

We have the same problem with W/10 with updates and there is nothing you can do to stop the update unless you disable Windows updates. it is just another shambles from Microsoft.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:24 08 Oct 2015

Can you access the administrator account?

if so you can get at all your husbands files and folders.

Create a new account for your husband and trans fer all the files and folders to the new account you will need to "take ownership" before windows will let the new account open the files.

Once you have everything where you want and can open all then delete the old account.

GertrudeLouise 13:56 08 Oct 2015

I have yet to tackle trying to Restore using Safe Mode, but I will.

Meanwhile, so long as my own profile works, I have no trouble accessing my husband's files through Shared files, but I cannot find his emails, because the Outlook programme will not open under the temporary profile. Obviously they are stored somewhere.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

GertrudeLouise

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:52 08 Oct 2015

In Windows XP, the Outlook Express user files, including *.wab and *.dbx files, are by default marked as hidden. To view these files in Explorer, you must enable Show Hidden Files and Folders under

Start | Control Panel | Folder Options | View.

wab is the address book and dbx is all the emails

GertrudeLouise 13:32 09 Oct 2015

I have successfully created a new profile, copied all the necessary files and even got email working. What I haven't managed to do is to retrieve my husband's address book into Contacts in Outlook.

I have all hidden files shown and I located the .wab files under c:\docs and settings\old profile name\application data\microsoft\address book.

I located the same place under new profile name, copied in the.wab files, but the Contacts folder in Outlook remains empty. Do I need to reboot? Or is there something else I should have done?

GertrudeLouise

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:46 09 Oct 2015

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)