Windows XP chkdsk won't complete

bovthedog 13:24 30 Apr 2018

Purpose of the following is to clone my programs drive to a larger drive. Chkdsk C:/f on my 150Gb SATA drive, which operates ok, had been running for two days without ending. At first I got the disk condition report that indicated missing/damaged clusters then the reporting stopped and I aborted the check and switched off my PC. On restarting I try to run chksdsk again but got 'chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume next time the system restarts? When I answer Y I get 'Windows cannot end this program. It may need more time to complete an operation'. So what is the other volume referred to and why won't chkdsk finish? I'm only running chkdsk.

bovthedog 13:56 30 Apr 2018

Should have asked 'what is the other process referred to ?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:23 30 Apr 2018

the other process is windows itself chk dsk needs exclusive access to the drive to run, hence the message schedule this volume next time the system restarts?

If you have a XP cd boot from that and run chkdsk c: /f

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Threadripper 2990WX review

George Bletsis' illustrations capture character and chaos with an effortless touch

iMac at 20: 10 iMac facts and history in pictures

Comment supprimer son historique Netflix ?