Windows Vista Laptop Security advice

martd7 13:17 14 Jan 2019
Answered

Clients windows vista laptop finally deleted all the crap,new email sorted and Google set as home page

Is there an Anti virus that will install and work on Vista? I have googled and Avira says it supports Vista but on the download page only 7,8 and 10 are supported

I've tried updating defender but it just sat there for 10mins doing nothing when I clicked on update

Any help most welcome, note buying a new laptop is not an option the client cannot afford it

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:32 14 Jan 2019

click here AVG

but as Vista support is ended you may be better getting rid of windows completely and installing something like linux mint

martd7 15:51 14 Jan 2019

FB Thanks but that's not a viable option for the client

If AVG works then I'm happy to recommend that to the client

MJS WARLORD 16:01 14 Jan 2019

when I had vista I used Norton 360

martd7 17:24 14 Jan 2019

MJS

Yes I have looked at Norton/Mcaffee etc they work on Vista but both say they cannot guarantee your internet safety due to no windows updates

FB Your link is to Avast not AVG

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:24 14 Jan 2019

Slip of the fingers on the keyboard.

Taff™ 08:40 16 Jan 2019

I use Avast on my Vista Laptop - no problems!

I would also suggest you install Firefox 52.9.0 ESR (x86 en-GB) as default web browser.

martd7 21:52 16 Jan 2019

Thanks Taff duly noted

martd7 17:20 21 Jan 2019
Answer

Today I have installed on the vista laptop for the client ,Avast AV and Firefox which runs far better than I.E

Thanks all

Taff™ 18:03 21 Jan 2019

Great Mart! Glad you found the advice useful

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e Release Date, Price & Spec

Robert Hunter talks animating his magical storybook style for a spaced out music video

Best iPhone & iPad games 2019

Samsung Galaxy X : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique