Windows stuck in " Automatic repair "

Ken Stabler 16:52 25 Jan 2018

Hi all. i am running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.started up today and got the message ,," your computer did not start correctly windows will now start automatic repair. It is now stuck in auto repair and wont even allow a boot disc to start,, wont boot to safe mode wont do anything except auto repair mode ..any one with any ideas on what i might do ??? thank you

StephenCrossland 18:24 25 Jan 2018

I found this click here might help. s.

It

Ken Stabler 19:45 25 Jan 2018

Hi thank you for the advice, i have tried this twice now and i am still stuck in the loop everything in the tutorial works as it should ,,all files copied ,but when i try to boot it just goes back to the automatic repair .. not sure what to do now as i still cant get the system to boot from a disk

StephenCrossland 20:16 25 Jan 2018

It seems that you may need to change the Boot order in the BIOS. Often F2 is the key to press repeatedly when you first power up the system. Sometime it is pressing the Esc key. If the Bios screen does open you need to change the boot order so that the CD/DVD player is before the hard drive. Then press F10 to accept changes and reboot with the Win 7 disk in the drive. I hope this helps. s.

Ken Stabler 10:45 26 Jan 2018

Hi thanks for that ,but this is the way i always set up my computer, so its a different problem , but thanks for the idea.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:50 26 Jan 2018

Go into BIOS (setup) and enable "Legacy Boot" it will be the portected UEFi boot that is stopping it booting from a disk or USB.

Ken Stabler 14:56 26 Jan 2018

Hi thanks for the idea but as this is stuck in auto repair loop the keyboard is not initialised at post, so no keys will work so i cannot get to the bios to be able to change anything

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:08 26 Jan 2018

Power o then off again after 5 seconds repeat 3 times on fourth see if it will go back to the repair options menu.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:10 26 Jan 2018

Sorry wrong system I see your using w7, are you using a wireless keyboard if so plug in a USB one or a PS2 one as they should both work at boot.

Ken Stabler 16:58 26 Jan 2018

Hi thanks for that but i already use a USB keyboard and it will not initialise on start up because it is stuck in auto repair loop i have tried " bootrec /fixboot & bootrec /fixmbr. but nothing seems to work so its looking more like a new HDD if i cant sort it

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:51 26 Jan 2018

disconnect the hard drive and power on the PC that should get you into the BIOS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)