Hot Topics

Windows Start Menu stopped working

recurve132 17:29 12 May 2016

Hi,

Laptop has Windows 10 and despite no previous problems, the Start Menu has just stopped working. (Although I guess it's unrelated, this has coincided with me plugging an external mouse into the laptop for the first time.) I've googled a few potential fixes but none have worked. Grateful for some advice for a non-tech person.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:29 12 May 2016

what exactly are the symptoms and what have you tried?

click here

recurve132 09:15 14 May 2016

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried the first two options in the link without success. Will try the others, thanks. The symptoms are simply that the Start Menu worked one minute then not the next. Each time I now click on it nothing happens at all.

Nb, one other issue - laptop shows that it is detecting my WiFi but each time I switch it on it comes up with an error message that there is no internet connection - if I click the blue E (Explorer icon) then nothing happens but I am able to launch Google Chrome. For me it would be better if I could simply click E and open a browser of my choice...any further thoughts please?

Govan1x 16:53 17 May 2016

You could try right clicking the Taskbar and click on search and make sure show is showing.

Open that and type in menu.Click on show my stuff. See if anything on there that helps.

joyiva 04:31 19 May 2016

Restart your computer in safe mode, and then reboot. This worked for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

The all-new Windows 10 Start Menu could be here soon

How to get your first design job

Apple Breakfast: Apple Silicon speed scores

iPhone 12 (2020) : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs