Windows not starting after restart

davecartman 08:51 22 Aug 2018

I ran ADW cleaner and only one item was found, can't remember what it was but as usual this required a restart. When laptop ( toshiba satellite pro L850 1DP windows 7 )reached the ' windows is starting ' stage there was a long pause and then the message ' windows failed to start ' and two alternatives ' start windows normally ' this simply took me back to the same point, or run windows startup repair which failed and eventually took me back to the same point again. There are 6 further alternatives shown. 1 run windows repair,done this already. 2 system restore, tried this and it failed. 3 system image recovery, I do not have image. 4 windows memory diagnostics, ran this and no fault found. 5 command prompt, this works but don't know what to do with it and 6 Toshiba Recovery Wizard. When selecting this a warning appears that all data will be deleted and re written, does this mean Windows will be reinstalled and all my files and programs will be lost? I have most of my important files ( mostly family history) backed up but do not want to try this without advice. Sorry for long post but tried to give as much info' as possible. Any advice would be most welcome.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:49 26 Aug 2018

Glad its repaired it self :0)

Use Macrium to make a backup image of the drive - if macrium updates then you must make a new rescue disk each time it updates as the old rescue disk will not open newer images.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

Best Wacom deals for Easter

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Comment faire pivoter une vidéo ?