Windows not starting after restart

davecartman 08:51 22 Aug 2018

I ran ADW cleaner and only one item was found, can't remember what it was but as usual this required a restart. When laptop ( toshiba satellite pro L850 1DP windows 7 )reached the ' windows is starting ' stage there was a long pause and then the message ' windows failed to start ' and two alternatives ' start windows normally ' this simply took me back to the same point, or run windows startup repair which failed and eventually took me back to the same point again. There are 6 further alternatives shown. 1 run windows repair,done this already. 2 system restore, tried this and it failed. 3 system image recovery, I do not have image. 4 windows memory diagnostics, ran this and no fault found. 5 command prompt, this works but don't know what to do with it and 6 Toshiba Recovery Wizard. When selecting this a warning appears that all data will be deleted and re written, does this mean Windows will be reinstalled and all my files and programs will be lost? I have most of my important files ( mostly family history) backed up but do not want to try this without advice. Sorry for long post but tried to give as much info' as possible. Any advice would be most welcome.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:36 22 Aug 2018

Odd for ADW clear to cause this sort of problem.

try command prompt and type chkdsk /r c:

see if checkdisk will run and hopefully it will find and sort the problem.

if it won't boot normall then use command prompt again and see if typing

sfc /scannow

will repair windows system files.

davecartman 11:48 23 Aug 2018

Fruit Bat. Thanks for your advice, I ran your first suggestion checkdisk which did not find any problems. On trying your second suggestion there was a message 'There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart windows and run sfc again.' I followed these instructions but on attempting to run sfc again the same message appears. I have tried rebooting twice and also completely shutting down and restarting but the same message appears. Between the 'Windows is starting ' screen and the failed screen a very brief blue screen with white type appears but it is only for a second so I cannot read it. Is there any way of holding this in the screen to see what it says ? Once again thanks for any advice.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:03 23 Aug 2018

Cancel the auto repair by going to command prompt and typing

bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled No

press enter.

also in commend prompt type

bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

bootrec.exe /fixmbr

bootrec.exe /fixboot

press Enter after each line in order to run it:

then see if the machine will boot normally.

davecartman 07:03 24 Aug 2018

Fruit Bat followed your instructions all successful until last command (fixboot) was followed by a message ' The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.' Does this point to what is wrong ?

ervin maitim 08:22 24 Aug 2018

Hi. You should consider clean-installing the OS. Means, reformatting and installing windows again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:19 24 Aug 2018

try

bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

bootrec.exe /fixboot

again

davecartman 15:44 24 Aug 2018

ervin maitim. You may be right but I was hoping to get away without that option.

davecartman 15:49 24 Aug 2018

Fruit Bat. Ran the two commands again with same result as before. I am guilty of the usual sin of not backing up regularly so am reluctant to go for a reinstall of windows. If I have to in the end can I remove the HDD first and put it in a caddy, plug it into another laptop and copy files from it to the other laptop or USB drive? Sorry to be a pain.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:48 25 Aug 2018

The volume does not contain a recognized file system.

Means the file system on the drive is corrupt the drive is recoverable by simply formatting the drive and reinstall but you will lose your data.

you are going to have to connect the drive to another PC and attempt to use a recovery program such as Recuva or minitool data recovery

rdave13 19:45 25 Aug 2018

There's one long shot you could try. Download Macrium Reflect free (on another PC obviously) and create the rescue disk. Boot from it and try the boot repair. It takes to account whether the disk is MBR/GPT and BIOS/UEFI. Other options available but can't remember now off hand. Worth a try and nothing lost.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)