Windows 8.1 wont update & download

triflesterm 13:58 18 May 2017

Hi

I haven't been able to download updates for the last 3 months.

Every time i try you see the down update bar appear as if its downloading for a split second, then it goes off and i'm just left with the downloading updates message, though it never downloads, no matter how long i leave it.

The update is only about 800mb, not sure whats preventing it from downloading, i have internet working fine.

Please Help.

Forum Editor 18:29 18 May 2017

Moved to the Windows Help forum from Tech Helproom.

Peter Ashley 19:20 18 May 2017

Hi there,

First I would try clearing the Windows cache: 1) Open a command prompt as Administrator and type 'net stop wuauserv' then press enter 2) Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete all the content within Download 3) Start the windows update service (within the command prompt 'net start wuauserv')

Update the client: click here might need to restart the machine.

You

Peter Ashley 19:21 18 May 2017

Hi there,

First I would try clearing the Windows cache: 1) Open a command prompt as Administrator and type 'net stop wuauserv' then press enter 2) Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and delete all the content within Download 3) Start the windows update service (within the command prompt 'net start wuauserv')

Update the client: click here might need to restart the machine.

You

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

This graphic novel uses AR to blur the lines between cartoon, comic and video game

How to watch Apple's October 2018 iPad launch

Comment d├ęsinstaller des applications sur un Mac ?