Windows 8 Update and Wireless issues

bseng 00:25 18 Nov 2015

Hello all, since I received this computer about a year and some change ago from my mother, it has shown errors regarding wireless connectivity. Usually it displays as no networks available, or limited connectivity, but as I post this from the computer in question there are little issues. However, it seems to choose when to cooperate and connect flawlessly to the wifi and when to boot me after loading a single page. Disconnecting and reconnecting, flipping the wifi on and off, and restarting the computer will sometimes help. To top it all off, when beginning my research into how to fix this problem I realized windows update hasn't been ran since the day it left the store. I tried running it, and it just refuses. It'll freeze, stall out, crash, revert to as if I never clicked "install." Nothing helps. Windows diagnoses comes up with nothing, I have no errors besides the ones previously mentioned. I'm dumbstruck.

I'm running windows 8 on a Dell Inspiron 15R, if you need any more information I'll be happy to provide.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:37 18 Nov 2015

connect by cable to your router and update the wireless drivers and windows.

bseng 21:38 18 Nov 2015

As much as I appreciate the reply, windows update won't run. Wanna read through the whole post before trying to help?

Govan1x 22:54 18 Nov 2015

Maybe reset it back to factory settings and start again.

bseng 13:00 19 Nov 2015

I was hoping to avoid that. I've long since backed up the files I wanted in case it came down to resetting the computer to factory settings, but I'd rather keep that as a last-ditch option.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:32 19 Nov 2015

so now we know it won't update of cable you only said wireless before !!!!

bseng 21:58 19 Nov 2015

I tried updating it with the cable long before posting this.

rdave13 23:56 19 Nov 2015

bseng , you ask for help and you say "Wanna read through the whole post before trying to help?" which will make the forum members here totally ignore you. Surprised Fruit Bat /\0/\ even bothered to post again.

My suggestion, if you wanna hear it, is run your security software in safe mode. Clear anything found. Boot to normal mode , check no proxy settings in internet options is set.

Reset Windows Update components

Shutdown , not restart, then try again. If that fails then a SFC might show problems.

1]: [click here

bseng 10:18 20 Nov 2015

Thank you. I apologize for my terseness, and for not directly stating I have the ability to connect my computer with an ethernet cable and have already done so. Will update again once I have the time to try your suggestion.

rdave13 19:03 20 Nov 2015

Thank you bseng an update is appreciated.

bseng 21:30 24 Nov 2015

There are no proxy settings for my internet, and when I ran windows defender in safe mode it found nothing. I ran through the first 3 steps on the manual reset, but the bits and appidsvc programs I was supposed to stop weren't running to begin with, and no matter how much I search I can't find the .qgmr* file in step 3 and entering the command provided gives the same result- no file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2018

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)