Windows 8 update and files deleted

galtyq1 09:25 12 Apr 2017

HELP - all my files are gone. I'm a student, all my docs, pictures (from wedding also) are not working here's what happened:

1. All my files (pictures and word documents) were located in 2 folders on the Desktop.
  2. Windows did un update
  3. After the update, I got logged in to an empty Desktop (which later i have learned was a temporary user)
  4. I searched for my folder (while on the temp-user) and found them on the C:>Users>[Real-User]>Desktop>[Target-Folders]
  5. I copied them to that temp-user desktop
  6. Restarted computer, now it logged in to the Real-User
  7. Folders were not there
  8. Looked everywhere, couldn't find them
  9. Searched for information, read about Shadow Explorer, downloaded & used it.
  10. Found the folders, exported them to the desktop.
  11. The files are now present, but are CORRUPTED! I can't open the images or doc files...
  12. Did a system restore to before everything happened, the files are still in the exact same situation... :(

Some notes: 30% of the JPG files are 90% gray and you can only see the top 10px of the image.. 50% won't even open (no preview, when open i get an error - Invalid File) 20% show the preview of the image (when browsing the folder) but can't open them

-tried to change file names/extension -tried to open with Photoshop. paint. several image-browsers -doc (word) files also gives an error. tried to open them with Notepad++/Google docs etc nothing worked - tried several JPG recovery software, nothing worked..

What could be the problem? How can I recover those files?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

Finding the right photo just got easier with Getty's brand new AI-powered solution

Beats Studio 3 Wireless review

Apple : Back to School 2018