Windows 7 will not startand crashes to blue screen

peterleemaxwell 08:13 20 Sep 2018

On trying to load Window 10 from the web site my PC crashed and will not start and crashing to blue screen. I have a Packard Bell M5801 running Windows 7. As the pc came with no disc l borrowed one and have managed to get into safe mode. When trying to system restore there wasn't any. I am now stuck. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:18 20 Sep 2018

Are you trying to upgrade to win 10?

peterleemaxwell 22:49 20 Sep 2018

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\, Thanks and nice to hear from you. In the past your help got me out of many tricky situations. I was trying to upgrade via the web site to Window 10, it crashed and left me in this position. Wish l had never bothered. Using a friend's Win 7 disc managed to get into safe mode but there is no restore points and although l can copy important files very little else l do seems to work. Do you think on this occasion it is best to copy all files to another hard drive and reinstall the O.S?

peterleemaxwell 07:44 21 Sep 2018

Thanks MJS WARLORD, you are correct M.S. still has the 'free' Windows 10 available as this is what l tried to download. I fully believed the text that stated it could be easy to go back to Windows 7 without any problems. What it didn't say was if it crashes you are left in limbo.

peterleemaxwell 16:57 21 Sep 2018

MJS WARLORD many thanks for your reply. I am in the process of purchasing a hard drive and so transfer all the files off the pc then l will reinstall the O.S. and the transfer back the files. There is a function via the left hand 'Alt' button with F10 that allows you to do one of two things. Firstly a fresh install via a file on the hard drive. This wipes all. The other is to put a factory setting of Windows 7 but leaving your files untouched. Just copying them for safety. Hope it works.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:19 21 Sep 2018

First get all your files off

then download a windows 10 iso from MS and make the boot media

Use the media to format the PC and do a clean install of windows 10 on the machine.

peterleemaxwell 19:25 21 Sep 2018

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ l will do. Not sure on Win 10 as l have never used or even seen it in use. Must be an improvement on Win 7?

lotvic 11:32 22 Sep 2018

Mostly Windows 10 is same as windows 7 but has more features and is more stable.

peterleemaxwell 12:43 22 Sep 2018

Thanks lotvic

peterleemaxwell 18:34 29 Sep 2018

Well l copied off what l could off the hard drive gave it to a knowledgeable friend who put a fresh loading of Windows 10. After he had gone l added the usual things like system utilities and zonealarm then went to update Windows 10 to get the latest version and it crashed at 81% and would not start or go into safe mode or have a restore point that l had manually put on. The version l was loading is 1803. The error code 0x80070652. I must be the most unluckest bloke.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:48 30 Sep 2018

Previous installation not completed properlyclick here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone 11 Pro vs Huawei P30 Pro: How Pro should you go?

IBC 2019: new video tools from Adobe, Blackmagic, Lenovo and more

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Les meilleurs appareils connect├ęs compatibles avec Google Home (2019)