Windows 7 will not startand crashes to blue screen

peterleemaxwell 08:13 20 Sep 2018

On trying to load Window 10 from the web site my PC crashed and will not start and crashing to blue screen. I have a Packard Bell M5801 running Windows 7. As the pc came with no disc l borrowed one and have managed to get into safe mode. When trying to system restore there wasn't any. I am now stuck. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:18 20 Sep 2018

Are you trying to upgrade to win 10?

peterleemaxwell 22:49 20 Sep 2018

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\, Thanks and nice to hear from you. In the past your help got me out of many tricky situations. I was trying to upgrade via the web site to Window 10, it crashed and left me in this position. Wish l had never bothered. Using a friend's Win 7 disc managed to get into safe mode but there is no restore points and although l can copy important files very little else l do seems to work. Do you think on this occasion it is best to copy all files to another hard drive and reinstall the O.S?

MJS WARLORD 23:04 20 Sep 2018

I once had a Packard bell machine and during a shop health check my recovery discs got lost , the shop had to give me an expensive Packard bell discs for my model of machine and they emphasised that if I gave them to anyone else with a Packard bell pc it would trash the set up , that is unless it was exactly the same model as mine so that might be why you got a problem with somebody else's discs

So , this is what I think you need to do , find a way to get to your desktop and use the recover program under the Packard bell folder in the start menu and return your pc to factory settings.

Next let the recovery console run until everything is complete , remove all the pre installed freebies you don't want and then run ccleaner to clean up your system.

pc mags say free Microsoft upgrade from 7 to 10 is no longer available but that wrong. I got 7 to 10 freebie on a spare pc. Just google free widows 10 upgrade , in the searches I clicked on the pc advisor magazine link and it took me to the genuine Microsoft page that Microsoft says no longer exists.

peterleemaxwell 07:44 21 Sep 2018

Thanks MJS WARLORD, you are correct M.S. still has the 'free' Windows 10 available as this is what l tried to download. I fully believed the text that stated it could be easy to go back to Windows 7 without any problems. What it didn't say was if it crashes you are left in limbo.

MJS WARLORD 16:33 21 Sep 2018

have you managed to do the recovery in the way I recomended

peterleemaxwell 16:57 21 Sep 2018

MJS WARLORD many thanks for your reply. I am in the process of purchasing a hard drive and so transfer all the files off the pc then l will reinstall the O.S. and the transfer back the files. There is a function via the left hand 'Alt' button with F10 that allows you to do one of two things. Firstly a fresh install via a file on the hard drive. This wipes all. The other is to put a factory setting of Windows 7 but leaving your files untouched. Just copying them for safety. Hope it works.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:19 21 Sep 2018

First get all your files off

then download a windows 10 iso from MS and make the boot media

Use the media to format the PC and do a clean install of windows 10 on the machine.

peterleemaxwell 19:25 21 Sep 2018

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ l will do. Not sure on Win 10 as l have never used or even seen it in use. Must be an improvement on Win 7?

lotvic 11:32 22 Sep 2018

Mostly Windows 10 is same as windows 7 but has more features and is more stable.

peterleemaxwell 12:43 22 Sep 2018

Thanks lotvic

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

34 tips for turning your art and graphics into amazing animated GIFs

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs