Windows 7 Upgrade - licence

xania 08:52 28 Sep 2011
Answered

I am about to upgrade my PC to Windows 7 but, as a temporary measure while completing the migration, will be running a dual boot system with my existing Windows XP Pro system. I planned to take advantage of the family upgrade offer for 3 of my 4 PC's but, does anyone know where I can find out if the upgrade licence allows me to run both XP Pro and Windows 7 on the same PC?

L'Shona Tovah to all my Jewish colleagues

xania 11:04 28 Sep 2011

No - you set up a new partition and install Windows 7 in this - then you work with both until ready to delete XP Pro.

xania 11:05 28 Sep 2011
  xania 14:17 28 Sep 2011

The problem is that the Windows 7 licence incorporated the XP licence so you cannot run each on a separate PC (or sell off the XP licence). However, I need to be sure that running both on the SAME PC does not infringe the mutual licence.

BRYNIT 09:40 29 Sep 2011
Answer

For the past year I have had my original Vista and win7 upgrade on separate partition with had no problems.

Your Win XP and Win 7 upgrade will be tied to your computer. As you have paid for both and each will have its own activation number I have found nothing to say you cannot use both.

If you think about it you will only be using one at a time. Nothing can stop you from uninstalling win7 to go back to XP or vice versa. Having them on separate partitions/drive saves time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to Watch Honor 20 Launch Live Stream

The Best Game of Thrones creative projects inspired by the hit show

MacBook keyboard issues and other problems

Comment télécharger des films sur un iPad sans utiliser iTunes ?