Windows 7 iso - 99gig?

jimforrest 13:35 20 Feb 2015

Following advice from the Forum I was about to make an image of my comp onto a DVD using Win's image maker - but I noticed that it says it could be 99gig! My C drive, with all my data on it, is 98gig or more than 20 DVD's!

Clearly if it is going to be that big I will put it on an HDD - however, is there a way of making a 'reduced' iso? I mean one that has the Win7 system files and drivers on (without first removing all the data files)?

And - why does Windows invariably cock-up CD & DVD formatting? It always says they need formatting - and invariably says it couldn't complete the format and that the disk is now unusable? Nero has no such problems and just copies onto the disks.

onthelimit1 13:40 20 Feb 2015

Use ImgBurn from here. W7 iso fits on one DVD.

robin_x 13:47 20 Feb 2015

Windows System Images are indeed very large.

The only way you can do it is very soon after doing a clean install before adding your data and apps.

Do a clean install, do all Windows Updates, add Firefox or Chrome, tinker with a few settings then create the Image and it should fit on 3 or 4 DVDs.

Don't setup anything that requires personal data and passwords, eg e-mail, you don't want that on your Clean Set.

Further Images should be made to ext HDD

robin_x 13:49 20 Feb 2015

Run Disk Cleanup before making image and/or install and run Ccleaner

robin_x 13:54 20 Feb 2015

Oh and if your Recovery Partition is included in the Image, you are efectively doubling the size required and you will need 6-8 DVDs.

alanrwood 19:50 20 Feb 2015

Unless you are using re-writable (DVR-RW) DVD disks you should not format as it is not required. Normal DVDs (DVD-R) are only for a single use.

jimforrest 21:34 20 Feb 2015

I put an external DVD/CD writer on the USB port and it worked fine. It looks like the internal optical drive is knackered (and it's not very old!)

rdave13 22:25 20 Feb 2015

Windows image maker? What's that?

robin_x 23:11 20 Feb 2015

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)