Windows 7 Install on VHD Failure

MMQ 00:25 07 Nov 2016

I am currently trying to install windows 7 ultimate onto a vhd on a hp windows 8.1 laptop.

When boot from the installation usb, I open up cmd and go to diskpart to create and attach the vhd. When I continue through the installation, I go to clean install and I select the vhd on disk 2. I ignore the thing that says I need to enable booting to it in the BIOS and click next. When I click next, it says that Windows cannot be installed to this location. Error 0x80300024.

Would you help me?

Jollyjohn 16:02 07 Nov 2016

Can I suggest using VirtualBox to achieve this. It is a free download click here It will create a virtual hard drive for you and enable you to install W7 to it.

MMQ 20:29 07 Nov 2016

Yes, but I tried using Virtualbox many times but I discovered that it is very slow compared to if it was installed onto my actual disk or a vhd.

Jollyjohn 10:19 08 Nov 2016

I have found VirtualBox runs well on a couple of different computers. I set RAM, in VirtualBox, to about half the installed amount in the host PC.

Anyway back to your original post, if you do mange to install W7 to the VHD you have created, how are you planning to boot from it?

Jollyjohn 10:22 08 Nov 2016

Answered my own question -click here Good luck.

Burn-it 13:35 08 Nov 2016

I don't think you CAN install W7 to a virtual drive. Running it under Virtual Box the install sees the drive as a real drive not virtual.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Artist Yippie Hey on 3D printing a futuristic magazine cover

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comparatif : PS4 vs Nintendo Switch