Windows 7 clean install stuck checking for updates

m.a.r 15:01 16 Jun 2016

My hard disk drive failed so I bought a new one and have clean installed windows 7 sp1 again using disks I had to purchase from HP for £33. Everything went fine, i activated windows (it did not ask me for the key, just said activation successful) and have installed my McAfee livesafe software, but now it has been checking for updates for 3 hours and nothing is happening. Please can anyone help? How long should it take? I want to upgrade to windows 10, but think I will have to install all the windows 7 updates prior to upgrading. Please can anyone advise me what to do?

Burn-it 16:26 16 Jun 2016

Yes, leave it running. However there is one update to the update process that you should do a search on and manually install ASAP. It changes the way the update check works. You will get a large list and you should not try to do them all in one go (they wouldn't anyway) I would suggest a max of 20 at a time, and if you don't want Win 10, hide the pestering ones.

Guest User 135781 16:40 16 Jun 2016

Just to confirm Burn-it's message - here's a link to the "update for Windows update":-

click here that helps

[email protected]

Hope

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Magical mystery tour - Artist colourfully customises bus to promote positive mental health

Apple Streaming Service Release Date & Apple TV Subscription Rumours

Quel est le meilleur iPad ?