Windows 10 - various questions

laptopdunce 11:52 04 Jul 2017

Windows 10 laptop, One thing I would first like to alter is the log in wnen I turn the laptop on, when I first set it up it asked me to sign in with a microsoft hotmail email address, which I did and now it always asks me to sign in with the password of my hotmail account (which is very long and I cant always remember very well) I had a 4 figure pin code on the other W8 laptop that was much better, in fact do I really need a PIN code/password to access the laptop? if so, I would like to change it to a 4 digit PIN code, so how do I do that? thanks - I have been into ebay and it seems to be running faster now but havent tried to load any photos yet, I think I need to install Adobe flash player and Acrobat reader on this laptop, also I would like to stop the free trial of the microsoft word that I inadvertently got waylaid into accepting, it keeps sending me unwanted emails, I didnt have a WP programme at all on the W8 one as I only used notepad and word pad for making labels and typing letters - I dont do any spreadsheets and fancy stuff, thanks laptopdunce

laptopdunce 12:29 04 Jul 2017

I have just looked in the "apps an features" is this the "programs and features" as in the old W8 OS? I deleted the wild tangent games and netflix in that list. Also I looked in the Windows settings > accounts > sing in options, it gives the option there to change the log in details to a PIN code, BUT it says "you will be asked to sign in to windows apps and services with this pin....." Does that mean I will have to sign into my hotmail account with the 4 digit pincode instead of my long password? thanks, takes a bit of getting used to all the new slogans and titles of everything I was so used to in W8, there seems to be an Adobe Acrobat reader installed, should I install Adobe flash player? Is there anything else you think I need to install for normal correct running of things on this W10 machine? thanks Laptopdunce

lotvic 14:24 04 Jul 2017

Here are articles that will give information to help you get used to Windows 10 click here

laptopdunce 15:08 04 Jul 2017

Are you serious!! this is about 10 pages of things that are nothing to do with changing to a pincode on windows 10??? even some rubbish about Sainsburys here!!

lotvic 17:17 04 Jul 2017

Ok, that establishes that you are not good at navigating searches. Perhaps I'd better post link to following guides that have screenshots.

How to set up Windows 10 without a Microsoft account click here take note of the section "Replacing your Microsoft account with a local account" (so you could, if you want, use Windows 10 without a password)

How to change your user account password in Windows 10 click here and read down the page to "Changing your password to a PIN code"

Let us know you want further details of any parts.

lotvic 17:20 04 Jul 2017

Cancel your free trial of Office 365 Home click here

laptopdunce 17:45 04 Jul 2017

well, its not that I am not good at navigating searches, but 10 pages which dont even MENTION anything about changing password to PIN in W10 is not what I was expecting, but thanks, have changed it to a 4 digit pin now, will see if I can do the other one now and remove the 365 trial of microsoftword, - I have done that now with the link you sent and it did show my "trial subscription" and I clicked on cancel and it came up only with "cancel?? why?? its paid for up till july23rd 2017, if you still want to cancel (then a highlighted click on text) contact customer support. So I guess it will stop on july 23rd?? Do you think they will start mithering me to take the full subscription then? thanks laptopdunce

laptopdunce 18:00 04 Jul 2017

PS the bluetooth mouse I got works fine on the W10 laptop, but as I cant even get the W8 on to start up I think I am going to have to take a hammer and just destroy that heap of junk! cant even start it up to wipe the HD, it was on for a while then started this "preparing automatic repair" and now it wont come out of it, been on for over 2 hours and nothing. Laptopdunce

lotvic 18:08 04 Jul 2017

it will stop on july 23rd?? Do you think they will start mithering me to take the full subscription

I don't think so, but I don't for sure.

lotvic 18:09 04 Jul 2017

edit: I don't know for sure.

wee eddie 18:19 04 Jul 2017

LTD If you don't cancel before the date , it will be assumed that you have agreed to whatever you have signed up to and the money will be taken out of your Account

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo A9 2020 Review

2019’s best design book celebrates web design all the way from the ‘90s to now

New Apple products predictions 2020

Noël (2019) : idées cadeaux & guide d'achat !