Windows 10 update seems only to apply to one user

john bunyan 14:52 24 Mar 2018
Answered

I am preparing a laptop to pass on to another family member, and am reducing the 3 user accounts to one and saving data to an external HD. Two of the user accounts have been in regular use, and one, in particular is fully up to date. When I opened an old user account the update wanted to install the Fall update! I did not realise that W 10 updates did not apply to all users. Is there a setting to ensure that Windows (and other programmes shared by one or more user accounts ) on a PC are applied to all such accounts? All had administration rights. In the end I used another account to delete the old one, but would like to avoid a similar issue in future.

rdave13 16:26 24 Mar 2018

Are you sure it wants to install or is it just preparing the profile? Usually after a major update the first profile goes through the 'preparing windows screen' etc. then opening the second profile will do the same and so on. This happens every time I update preview versions except lately the original profile doesn't do this.

john bunyan 16:43 24 Mar 2018

On the "old" User profile, it went through all the rigmarole of wanting to do the fall update, just as when this was offered when it came out last year. In the end, I used another profile to delete the old user account. It went through the Hello etc ritual in preparation for the 1709 build before I declined and stopped it.

rdave13 16:47 24 Mar 2018

That's odd. So it started downloading and installing again via Windows update?

rdave13 16:50 24 Mar 2018

The Hello etc screen on another profile is normal (if WU not involved) as it's updating the profile.

john bunyan 17:09 24 Mar 2018

It seemed to me it was going to do a total install. Maybe I misunderstood. I had updated all the latest updates on the primary user's profile. When I opened the old one it did not go via the update route ; the Hello Blue screen came up and implied that the fall update 1709 would be installed. Maybe I misinterpreted it, but it had all the appearance of when one starts a new PC. Maybe I was too hasty in deleting the user account, but as you see on my other thread there seems a lot to do in preparing the old PC for passing it to a relative and setting up a new laptop when it is delivered , so I am taking time to get it right.

rdave13 17:23 24 Mar 2018
Answer

so I am taking time to get it right.

Absolutely agree with you jb . Saw your other thread about partition moving and changing. Good advice given but myself, being lazy, I would check out the free version of MiniTool free and check out their tutorials and help.

john bunyan 17:47 24 Mar 2018

rdave13

As usual, thanks for your valuable advice!!

rdave13 18:17 24 Mar 2018

john bunyan

Two software I wouldn't be without. Macrium and MiniTools. If I had more work for them I'd buy the professional versions with no hesitations.

rdave13 18:21 24 Mar 2018

P.S. that Dell looks the business :)

john bunyan 19:21 24 Mar 2018

rdave13

Yes, Ithink we line up on most security stuff. I use Defender, MBAM Premium, occasionally ADWCleaner, occasionally Superantispyware, SynchToy for data back up. I have been using Easus Partition Manager but on the new Dell I will take your advice and use MiniTools. Will report in due course - ETA about 4 April. Thanks again. PS Going to RM Beating Retreat in May

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

Adobe's groundbreaking prototypes of new features and apps for Creative Cloud

When is the next Apple event?

Les meilleurs VPN gratuits (2018)