Hot Topics

Windows 10 update error message

Hetti 18:41 05 Feb 2020

Can anyone advise? The win search in toolbar will not work, when I start to type the picture tiles dissapear and nothing else happens, I checked my win updates there is an important update available but on trying to download/install it goes as far as "Installing" then I get the error "0x80073721, I have tried all afternoon but it still fails

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:55 05 Feb 2020

Try this first DISM

Hetti 13:47 06 Feb 2020

Thanks Fruit bat Tried that but got the message "Not recognised as the name CMD let, function,script file, operable program check spelling try again, I have tried bout 4 times (spelling is right) but no still good

Hetti 13:49 06 Feb 2020

Also tried to manually download from Win Catalog still no good

x13 14:52 06 Feb 2020

Try opening Windows PowerShell (admin) and copy and paste - DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth - and press enter. See if it fixes any issues. Try running the WU troubleshooter, Settings, Update and security, Troubleshoot, Additional troubleshooters and Windows Update. Reboot.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:56 06 Feb 2020

try

sfc /scannow

if that is also giving problems then a repair install of win 10 probably needs to be done from an image off a USB stick

Hetti 20:24 06 Feb 2020

This is message after sfc/scannow Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

If I have to do a repair install from USB is there somewhere I can get the image downloaded online as I do not have one

x13 20:34 06 Feb 2020

Try running sfc again then followed by the DISM command. Reboot and check again.

Hetti 20:35 06 Feb 2020

Will get back here tomorrow......thanks

x13 20:46 06 Feb 2020

This is a good tutorial to reset Windows Update you can try - Link

Hetti 08:59 07 Feb 2020

Okay, Tried the link but still same, Did all the sfc and DISM again still no luck also WU troubleshooter, Settings, Update and security, Troubleshoot, Additional troubleshooters and Windows Update no good, looks like a repair install of win 10 is next thing how do I do that? , I have backups on Ashampoo Backup pro 11

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Will 5G kill you?

Becoming an In-House Illustrator: advice from those who've made it

iPhone SE 2 release date, price & specs rumours

Les meilleurs VPN pour Amazon Fire TV Stick (2020)