Hot Topics

Windows 10 Update Causes Startup Failure

Jackw0119 12:19 20 Jan 2020

Last week when I tried to start up my PC, my computer failed to start properly - I just got a black screen. After powering off and on a couple of times, I eventually got a recovery message saying "It looks like Windows hasn't loaded correctly". I managed to fix this by doing a system restore which removed the latest Windows updates that were on my computer. This morning, after my computer had auto-installed the same updates, I had exactly the same problems - again fixed by performing a system restore. So now it seems that I can use my computer fine but installing these updates stops it from being able to startup.

Any suggestions as to what I should do?

The updates my PC wants to install are:

• Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus KB2267602 (Version 1.307.2684.0)
  • 2020-01 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64 (KB4532938)
  • Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - January 2020 (KB890830)
  • 2020-01 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4528760)

My PC is an HP Pavillion Notebook. Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7100U CPU @ 2.40GhZ Installed RAM: 8GB (7.89GB usable) System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

It is running Windows 10, version 1903, installed on 24/07/2019.

Govan1x 12:40 20 Jan 2020

I had all of those updates last week but I don't use Windows defender. All mine downloaded ok.

Not sure if you can delete defender just to see if that is the problem then maybe reinstall it if that is the only security program that you have.

There are lots of Windows defender fans on here so maybe wait till one of those can give you a better solution.

Forum Editor 18:31 21 Jan 2020

Moved to Windows Help from Tech Helproom.

x13 18:42 21 Jan 2020

Things to try, disconnect all peripherals including SD card/s leaving only keyboard and mouse and monitor. Uninstall your AV and just leave Defender running. You can always reinstall and apply your licence later. Reboot and try installing the update again. Make a backup first .

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Huawei Mate Xs could’ve been the first great big-screen foldable

Creatives in China won't find this flag on Adobe, Getty or Shutterstock

The best games on Apple Arcade

Microsoft Surface Duo confirmé : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique