windows 10 update, another moan

conrail 10:29 23 Jul 2018

just had the latest windows 10 update, ms tell me to pick a time which I did, 11pm last night, windows will download the update and restart numerous times, just leave the pc switched on, no problems so far, assumed windows did what it was supposed to, switched on pc this morning and had to wait 1 hour and 10 minutes to install updates, my moan is; why can't windows do all this when I left it last night, download and install, so when I next switch on it just boots up and runs, had I been a business, having to wait over an hour would have been inconvenient. that's the moan over, thanks fr letting me get it off my chest.

wee eddie 11:53 23 Jul 2018

Good point. I've never been able to understand that either.

It was my assumption that there was a difference between "Shutting Down" and "Restarting" which they don't admit to

Forum Editor 15:07 23 Jul 2018

Moved to the Windows Help Forum from Speakers Corner.

conrail 15:14 23 Jul 2018

thank you FE,

alanrwood 09:04 24 Jul 2018

Yes there is a difference. Shut Down simply stores current configuration in memory to the hard drive and is reused when next booting. Restart however does just what it says, it restarts everything from scratch and is thus more thorough but takes a little longer.

Flak999 11:36 24 Jul 2018

Easy way to get round this in Win 10 is to hold down the shift key whilst clicking shutdown, this shuts win 10 down properly and acts in the same way as performing a restart.

wiganken2 16:29 24 Jul 2018

I agree about Windows 10 updates being a pain. The moral of this story is: - Do not trust Microsoft to install updates seamlessly so pick a time when you are going to be there for about 8 hours so you can monitor the update and interact if needed.

You can use "Win Update Stop Portable" (click here to turn Windows update off until it suits your schedule so that you can monitor the update process for problems.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

Project Gemini is Adobe's Procreate rival – a new drawing and painting app for the iPad

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs