Windows 10 Spring Creators Update has been delayed

Gordon Freeman 11:10 11 Apr 2018

...by a serious bug.

For those of us eagerly awaiting the latest spring update, seems we'll have to wait a bit longer.

techradar article

john bunyan 10:45 01 May 2018

Laptop OK now. Had to start Bits manually. Annoyingly Homegroup feature has been removed so will see how to share folders between people and PC's WITHOUT OneDrive, which is the direction MS is pushing to get more income.

john bunyan 18:43 01 May 2018

mrcalif

I only used Homegroup recently. I use a desktop mostly for myself and it has a 250Gig SSD for OS and a 1TB SATA for data. My wife is a reluctant PC user but I recently got a small laptop with a user account for each of us, and we have our own music libraries with separate iCloud and iTunes accounts. Other folders such as Documents, photos (other than Camera Roll from our own I phones) are also shared. I do not want to use OneDrive as there is too much data for the free version, so a homegroup seemed good to selectively copy and or view files on the desktop and vice versa. I am looking at the alternatives and would be glad of your views. For the moment I have a USB-C slim 1TB HDD that has Macrium backups of the laptop plus all the data from the desktop, so that is another way. I am not ready to embrace large scale use of Cloud, and use it only for iPhone / iTunes

RipTricky 19:43 01 May 2018

Microsoft decided against the rollout of the new version of Windows 10 in what seemed like a last minute attempt at preventing that a buggy release hit consumer systems worldwide.

Microsoft did not reveal back then why it decided to delay the release of the new version; in fact, the company never confirmed that April 10, 2018 was the day that it planned to release Windows 10 version 1803 to the public.

iscanut 16:13 02 May 2018

Have just upgraded my two laptops to Win 10 version 1803 and all went OK BUT the machines now seem to take longer to boot up and also longer for programs to load and run. I am not talking about several minutes but things just seem a bit sluggish. Anyone else have this feeling ?

john bunyan 18:14 02 May 2018

So far, apart from attempting to want more info (which I declined) , I can’t see much advantage in it. I am unlikely to use the recent used apps feature and they have discontinued the home group feature, which I liked. MS are pushing folk to use programmes such as Office 365 with a monthly charge and dangling a carrot of 1Tb of cloud to hook people on to it. At my upload speed of less than 1 mbps that is ridiculous- even 150 Gig would take days to upload and in any case I prefer backups on USB Hd. Maybe a keen Windows techie could give us less knowledge folk a list of the things in this update that typical users of this forum would find are better than the previous version?

john bunyan 22:23 02 May 2018

mrcalif

I use M S Office Home and Business 2016 (as it has Outlook included). Bought at around £210 with Dell laptop and Novatech desktop PC’s respectively. With hindsight could have done it differently. I did check that if Office 2019 comes out there will be a way of updating it. The point about cloud is that for say 150 Gig the upload would take ages and anyway I prefer my own backups. I can’t get my head round OneDrive so don’t use that - also for cloud reasons as my upload is so slow . I thought that only Office 365 offers a 1Tb cloud? My local repair man thinks cloud is the dog’s b*.

Thanks for your input and I look forward to your views on the latest update if Windows 10

john bunyan 12:06 03 May 2018

mrcalif

Any thoughts?

john bunyan 19:17 03 May 2018

I don’t use timeline.

john bunyan 07:21 04 May 2018

You may well be right but I will find ways of doing what I want. As I am not a gamer O use the PC for music, Photoshop and Office and will adapt as needed.

john bunyan 09:58 04 May 2018

I am away from home for a few days so will follow it up next week. I read about”Nearby Sharing” so want to look at that. My desktop is not on wi fi so not sure how that works. At the moment I have all my desktop data folders copied on a slim USB hdd that I can use with my laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

TikTok and how to use it for illustration success

macOS Catalina Review: New MacOS update turns your Mac into an entertainment hub

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 11, 11 Pro et 11 Pro Max (2019)